- 1 1/2 pounds (about 8) small red potatoes
- 3 slices (about 4 ounces) thick cut bacon, diced
- 2 medium (3/4 pound) red onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup low sodium vegetable or chicken broth (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh herbs (I like a mixture of chives and parsley)
- 1 cup (8 oz) mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) cold heavy cream
- 1/3 cup (43 g) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange or lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 oz (85 g) raspberries
- 8 oz (225 g) blueberries
- 8 oz (225 g) strawberries - stems removed and halved or quartered
- 4 Tbsp (60 ml) apricot jelly or orange marmalade
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar or lemon juice
- Steam the potatoes: Fill a pot with an inch or two of water and set a steamer basket inside. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Rinse the potatoes and place them in the steamer basket. Steam the potatoes, covered, for 20 minutes. To test for doneness, use a paring knife to pierce one of the potatoes; steam for a few more minutes if not quite done. Remove the steamer basket from the pot and let the potatoes cool for 20 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooling, make the bacon dressing: In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the bacon until it begins to render some of its fat, about 5 minutes. (For crispier bacon, cook for 8 minutes.) Add the onions and sauté for 5 more minutes, until the onions are softened and translucent, and the bacon is cooked through. Add the vinegar to the skillet. Stir it in with the onions and bacon and let it reduce, about 2 minutes. Stir in the vegetable broth, mustard, salt, and pepper, and turn off the heat. (If your potatoes aren't quite ready yet, turn off the heat, but then warm briefly again before mixing in the sliced potatoes in Step 4.)
- Peel and slice the potatoes: Use your fingers or a paring knife to gently peel the potatoes. (You can also leave the skins on if you like a more rustic potato salad.) Slice the potatoes 1/4-inch thick.
- Stir the potatoes and herbs into the warm dressing: Add the potatoes and chopped herbs to the skillet with the vinaigrette. Gently stir until the potatoes are coated evenly with the herbs, onions, and bacon.
- Serve the salad warm or chilled. This salad can be made up to a day ahead.
You may also like
Classic German Potato Salad Classic German Potato Salad! Thick-sliced potatoes tossed with bacon, onions, herbs, and vinaigrette. Serve hot, warm, or cool. Grilled Corn-on-the-Cob How to grill juicy, tender, grilled corn-on-the-cob! Grill fresh corn cobs in their husks on direct high heat. Blue Corn Chicken Nachos Celebrate Red, White and Blue with these Blue Corn Tortilla Chip Nachos! With a creamy pepper jack cheese sauce, chicken, and pico de gallo Berry Tart Summer berry tart with an all-butter crust, mascarpone cheese and whipped cream base, covered with raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries.