- 2 lbs of mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 thai chili, finely chopped (can substitute good pinch of chili flakes)
- 3 teaspoons of ginger, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of curry powder
- 1/2 cup of chicken broth
- 1 can of coconut milk (13.5 fl. oz.)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, chopped into four pieces and smashed
- 3 kaffir lime leaves* (optional)
- Chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Soak raw mussels in cold water, then de-beard: Place mussels in a bowl of cold water so the mussels will spit out any sand or mud. Let them sit for 10 minutes. Drain and repeat. Toss any mussels that are open as these are dead. Debeard the mussels, pulling out their byssal threads (aka: their "beards") and place them in a bowl of cold water until ready to use.
- Sauté onions, chiles, ginger, curry powder: Heat the oil in a pot (large enough to hold all of the mussels) on medium high heat and add the onion and stir for a few minutes until they become soft and slightly translucent. Add the chilies, ginger, and curry powder and stir for a minute until fragrant.
- Add broth and reduce, then add coconut milk, salt, lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves: Add the chicken broth and reduce half. Add the coconut milk, salt, lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves if using and bring to a boil.
- Add mussels: Drain and add the mussels, reduce heat to medium and cover with a tight fitting lid. Cook for 6-7 minutes until the mussels open. Discard any that are closed as these were dead before cooking. (Some may only be slightly open, if you have to debate on whether it's good to eat or not, toss it.) Spoon mussels into bowls and pour over with broth. Garnish with chopped cilantro and juice from lime wedges.
You may also like
Basil Chicken Coconut Curry Basil coconut chicken curry made with chicken thighs, jalapeño, coconut milk, basil and ginger Slow Cooker Pumpkin Soup (Vegan, Paleo) Slow Cooker Pumpkin Soup! So creamy and comforting with coconut milk. Vegan, gluten-free, paleo, and all-around allergy-friendly. Spicy Garlic Shrimp with Coconut Rice Camarones al Ajillo garlic shrimp recipe. Garlic and jalapeno marinated shrimp sauteed in coconut milk and served on a bed of coconut white rice. Vegan Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pudding Cups Vegan chocolate-peanut butter pudding cups! 5 minutes to make and so creamy. Uses avocado instead of eggs and dairy.