- 2 quarts water
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 pounds cod fillets (or other firm white fish, not sole), cut to fit the pan
- Lemon for garnish
Optional side of saffron potatoes:
- 1 pound of Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks (peel on or off, your choice)
- Pinch of saffron
- Put water, salt, garlic, bay leaves, and olive oil into 4 to 5 quart pot and bring to a hard boil. Boil for several minutes, to infuse the water with the bay leaves and garlic. You should be able to smell the aroma of the garlic.
- Rinse the cod fillets and place them in the boiling water. Return the water to a simmer (this should take 2 to 3 minutes). Simmer for an additional 2 minutes, less or more depending on the thickness of the fillets. Using a slotted spoon, remove the fillets to a plate when they are almost cooked through. They should still be a little translucent in the center, because they will continue to cook in their residual heat as they sit on the plate. Cover with foil. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving, or if you are making the optional potatoes, let rest until the potatoes are done.
- (Optional) Place a pinch of saffron in the water that was used to cook the fish. Add the potatoes and return the water to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork. Drain. Sprinkle potatoes with additional salt if desired. Serve fish with a slice of lemon.
You may also like
Chicken Tikka Masala Chicken Tikka Masala! Very EASY to make on the stovetop. Just like take-out! Ready in 30 minutes, plus marinating time. Cod Fish Cakes Delicious cod fish cakes with fresh cod fillets, potatoes, bread crumbs, parsley, Parmesan, garlic, and egg. Asparagus Pesto with Pasta Fresh spring asparagus pesto recipe with baby spinach, asparagus, pine nuts, olive oil and garlic, served with fettuccine pasta. Zucchini Noodle Chicken Pesto Bowl Quick and easy, sautéed zucchini noodles tossed with pesto, chicken and tomatoes.