- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 10-ounce box of couscous, about 1 1/3 cups
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup shelled raw pistachios*
- 10 dried apricots, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- Optional 2 teaspoons harissa, prepared or homemade (see this Paula Wolfert harissa recipe)
- Place the chopped onion in a small bowl. Pour the lemon juice over the onions, set aside and let the onions soak in the lemon juice.
- Toast the pistachios in a small pan on medium-high heat until lightly browned and fragrant. (Take care when toasting nuts, they can burn quickly if you don't pay attention!) Remove from heat and place into a small bowl to cool.
- Put 2 cups of water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Add one tablespoon of olive oil and one teaspoon of salt to the water. Once the salt dissolves, stir in the couscous, turn off the heat and cover the pot. Move the pot off the hot burner and let the couscous steam, covered, for 5-6 minutes.
- Scoop out the couscous into a large bowl and fluff with a fork. Stir in the harissa, if using. Stir in the pistachios, chopped apricots and parsley. Stir in the red onion and lemon juice. Add one more tablespoon of olive oil, stir well and add salt to taste. Serve warm or at room temperature.
You may also like
Pear Butter Homemade pear butter spiced with star anise, ginger, lemon, cardamom, and nutmeg. Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies Soft, chewy chocolate gingerbread cookies! Made with dark chocolate, cocoa powder, and fresh ginger. Creamy Cheesy Turkey Enchiladas Creamy cheesy turkey enchiladas! Leftover turkey, sweet potatoes, cream cheese rolled into flour tortillas, smothered with creamy salsa verde sauce. So good! Make Your Own Juice Popsicles Homemade popsicle recipe. Easy to make your own juice popsicles, with concentrated juice or lemonade.