- 12 ounces fresh or thawed frozen cranberries (about 3 1/2 cups), washed and drained, stems removed and discarded, bruised or spoiled cranberries discarded
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups white cranberry juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh lime or orange zest
To finish the cake:
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- 1 cup lemon curd
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- Cook the cranberries with sugar, water, and cranberry juice: Place cranberries, sugar, water, white cranberry juice, and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, until all of the berries have popped and the sugar has dissolved.
- Cool, blend, and press through strainer: Cool for 10 minutes. Working in batches, purée in a blender until smooth. Press through a fine mesh strainer to remove seeds and pulp; discard seeds and pulp.
- Add corn syrup, zest, and chill: Stir in corn syrup and zest. Cover and refrigerate until completely chilled, several hours or preferably overnight.
- Process in ice cream maker: Process in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Right out of the ice cream maker the sorbet will be rather soft. If you would like it firmer, transfer the sorbet to an airtight container and put in your freezer for a couple of hours. Once frozen, you may need to let it sit for a few minutes at room temperature before serving. For variations, try adding a tablespoon of chopped fresh ginger to the cranberries, or a tablespoon or two of orange zest.
You may also like
Easy Peanut Butter Fudge Quick and EASY peanut butter fudge! Make on the stovetop and pour into a pan. Takes 15 minutes. Date Caramel Sauce (Vegan) Make this healthier version of caramel sauce with dates, water, and coconut cream! Takes 15 minutes Meyer Lemon Sorbet Intensely lemony, this crisp Meyer lemon sorbet is like making lemonade with a detour through the ice cream maker. Rustic Apricot Tart Rustic apricot tart. Instructions for how to bake on the grill, perfect for a hot summer day when you don't want to heat up the kitchen.