- 1 butternut squash (about 2 3/4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups chopped peeled Bartlett pear (about 1 pound)
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 2 1/3 cups water
- 1 cup pear nectar
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans vegetable broth*
- 2 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 small Bartlett pear, cored and thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membrane. Place squash halves, cut sides down, on a baking sheet; bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until tender. Cool. Peel squash; mash pulp. Set aside 3 1/2 cups pulp, reserving remaining squash for another use.
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chopped pear and onion; sauté 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add squash pulp, water, and next 5 ingredients (water through pepper). Bring to a boil; partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes.
- Place one-third of squash mixture in a blender; process until smooth. Pour puréed mixture into a large bowl; repeat procedure with remaining squash mixture.
- Return squash mixture to pan; stir in half-and-half. Cook over low heat 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Ladle soup into bowls, and garnish with pear slices.
You may also like
Pear Tart Delicate and delicious pear tart, thinly sliced Bosc pears arranged over frangipane almond paste, glazed with apricot jam, in an all-butter crust. Crab Salad with Pear and Hazelnuts Delicious crab salad! with hazelnuts and chopped pear, served on a bed of butter lettuce. Pear Ginger Maple Pie Pear pie with streusel topping, filled with chopped pears and accented with candied ginger and maple syrup. A perfectly delicious autumn pie. Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Bacon and Pear Grilled cheese sandwich with French bread slices, bacon, pear, and sharp white cheddar cheese. Inspired by the Arlequin deli in San Francisco.