- Short grain brown rice - 1 to 1 1/2 cup, best is organic
- One large yellow onion - chopped.
- Curry paste or curry powder - yellow or red Indian (not Thai)*
- Olive oil
- Chili pepper
- Sesame oil
- Cilantro - chopped
- Raisins - one cup
- One apple - cored and chopped (not peeled)
- Celery - chopped (optional)
- Snow peas - stringy ends chopped off, then chopped (optional)
- Bell pepper, red, green, or yellow - chopped (optional)
- Green onions - chopped (optional)
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 Tbsp sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup golden raisins, chopped
- Prepare the brown rice: Put rice in a big pot, add 1 3/4 cups of water for every cup of rice, bring to a boil, cover, lower the heat on very low, let simmer for 45 minutes, take off heat and keep covered for at least another 10 minutes.
- Prepare onions and curry oil: In a large saucepan heat 1/4 cup of olive oil on medium high heat. Add a couple heaping tablespoons of curry paste (if it is mild) or add a couple of tablespoons of mild curry powder. Add a dash of chili pepper and cumin and a few drops of sesame oil if you have it. Let the curry simmer for a minute. Add the chopped yellow onion and cook until translucent.
- Mix rice and onions: In a large mixing bowl, put in the hot rice and then fold in the onions with the curry infused oil in which they were cooked. You'll need to use a strong wooden spoon to mix. Taste test the rice at this point. If it needs more curry flavor, heat some more curry powder, chili, and cumin in olive oil for a few minutes and add to the rice to desired spiciness.
- Add other ingredients to taste - cilantro, raisins, apple, celery, snow peas, bell pepper, green onions. Add a couple tablespoons of honey. Add a dash of salt to taste.
- Chill and serve.
You may also like
Cranberry Apple Stuffed Pork Loin Stuffed pork loin with chopped apples, walnuts, cranberries, shallots, and croutons. Pressure Cooker Beef Brisket Tender brisket in half the time with the pressure cooker! Perfect for Passover dinner or Sunday suppers. Easy blender gravy. Bourbon Barbecue Sauce Outrageously good homemade barbecue sauce with molasses, chili, onion, lemon juice, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and bourbon. Creole Potato Salad Spice up your summer BBQ with a Creole potato salad, seasoned with spicy creole mustard.