- 1 1/2 cup long-grain rice (Carolina, basmati, jasmine, etc)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup chicken livers
- 3 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper or 1-3 jalapeños, seeded and chopped
- 1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 2 green onions, chopped
For the chicken:
- 4 chicken thighs, bone-in with skin
- 4 drumsticks, bone-in with skin
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions, but use chicken broth for one third of the cooking liquid. So, for example, if the package says to use 3 cups of water for 1 1/2 cups of rice, use 2 cups of water and 1 cup of chicken broth. Once the rice has finished cooking, remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Turn the rice out onto a sheet pan and drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over it. Mix to combine and let cool.
- While the rice is cooking, mash and finely chop the chicken livers, or purée briefly in a blender. In a large pan that can eventually hold the rice plus everything else, put 1 tablespoon of oil plus the bacon in and cook over medium-low heat until the bacon is crispy.
- Add the ground pork and increase the heat to high. Allow the meat to brown before stirring. As soon as the pork starts to brown, add the final tablespoon of oil and add the celery, jalapeños, and onions. Brown them all over medium-high heat. You may notice the bottom of the pan getting crusty. Keep it from burning by lowering the heat if needed. Add the minced liver and cook for a few minutes more.
- Add the remaining cup of chicken broth and deglaze the pan by scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Add the Cajun seasoning and turn the heat to high. Boil away most of the chicken stock and then add the cooked rice. Toss to combine.
- Turn off the heat and add the green onions. Toss once more to combine and serve hot.
You may also like
Baked Stuffed Artichokes Stuffed artichokes are a perfect artichoke appetizer! Globe artichokes are trimmed and stuffed with herbed parmesan breadcrumb stuffing, then baked. Grilled Tomatillo and Corn Salsa Tomatillo salsa made with grilled tomatillos, grilled corn, jalapeño, onions, garlic Shrimp, Lemon, Spinach Linguine Sautéed shrimp with caramelized lemons, tossed with shallots, spinach and linguine. Delicious! Spaghetti with Tomatoes, Bacon, and Eggs Spaghetti with Tomatoes, Bacon, and Eggs—the ultimate comfort food! Ready in the time it takes to cook the spaghetti. Such a perfect combination, so easy for a weeknight dinner.