- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced (for added flavor you can substitute roasted red bell peppers or some chopped pimentos)
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 16-ounce cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- A few dashes of Tabasco or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 heaping Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional Lime wedges and cilantro for garnish
- Cook the rice: Cook rice according to package instructions. White rice usually takes 15 minutes to cook once the water is simmering, and 10 minutes to sit.
- Sauté onions, bell peppers, garlic: Heat oil in a large skillet on medium high. Sauté onions and bell peppers for 3-4 minutes, until just beginning to soften, then add garlic and sauté a minute more.
- Add beans, vinegar, Tabasco, then simmer: Add the black beans, vinegar and Tabasco or cayenne. Bring vinegar to a simmer, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice and oregano. Add salt and pepper to taste.
You may also like
Cheesy Quinoa Black Bean Stuffed Bell Peppers Easy cheesy stuffed bell peppers with quinoa, black beans, cheddar, green onions, and cumin. Three Bean Salad Easy three bean salad, perfect for summer picnics and potlucks! With cannellini beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, celery, red onion, parsley, and a sweet and sour dressing. Black Bean Burrito Bowl Burrito Bowl! With black beans, rice, avocados, salsa, red cabbage, and lime. Spicy, Citrusy Black Beans Black beans cooked with onions, chili peppers, garlic, oregano, red chili sauce, chipotle, cumin, orange juice and lime.