- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon mild yellow curry powder
- Pinch of ground cardamom or the seeds from 1 cardamom pod, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 cup canned coconut milk (use regular coconut milk NOT light)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pound raw, peeled, deveined shrimp (with or without tail)
- Cilantro for garnish
Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- 1/2 cup of butter (1 stick), room temperature
- 8 oz of Philly cream cheese (1 package), room temperature
- 1/2-1 cup of powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup of sweetened desiccated coconut
- If you haven't already defrosted your shrimp, if using frozen, do that while you prepare the sauce. The shrimp will be thawed and ready to cook by the time the sauce is done.
- Sauté onion, curry, cardamom: Heat olive oil in a medium sized sauté pan on medium heat. Add the chopped onion. Cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the curry powder, cardamom, and salt. Cook for two more minutes.
- Add coconut milk and water, simmer: Add the coconut milk and water, simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp: Add the shrimp to the curry sauce and spread out evenly in the pan. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp has turned from grey to pink and is just cooked through. Do not overcook or the shrimp will be rubbery. Serve with cilantro for garnish. Serve with basmati rice or better yet, coconut basmati rice.
You may also like
Coconut Shrimp with Sweet Chili Mayo Chinese coconut shrimp, shrimp coated in coconut flakes and panko, fried and served with a sweet chili mayo sauce. Coconut Cake with Lemon Curd and Vanilla Buttercream This coconut cake is a total showstopper at any gathering. With lemon curd filling and vanilla buttercream frosting. Make-ahead options; keeps well. Coconut Macaroons Coconut macaroons, sweet coconut cookies that are slightly crunchy on the outside, with a secret ingredient to make them extra smooth on the inside. Magic Bars Classic 7-layer magic bars with chocolate, nuts, butterscotch, and coconut! They're the perfect make-ahead dessert for your next party.