For the soup:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, thickly sliced
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans or other small white beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 4 cups baby kale or baby spinach, stems removed if tough
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, for garnish
- Olive oil, to serve
- Extra grated Parmesan, to serve
For the parmesan toasts:
- 1/2 baguette, thinly sliced
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Cook the vegetables: In a soup pot, heat the olive oil. When it is hot, add the carrots, onion, celery, garlic, fresh oregano sprigs, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes until the vegetables look softened and the onions are turning translucent.
- Prepare the beans: On a plate, mash 1/2 cup of the beans with a fork or potato masher. Add them to the vegetables in the pot. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Simmer the soup: Add the remaining beans to the pot and stir well. Stir in the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, partially cover with the lid placed askew, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the carrots are tender and the liquid is flavorful. Discard the oregano sprigs; the leaves will have fallen into the soup. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- While the soup simmers, make the Parmesan toasts: Toast the bread until lightly golden on both sides. While the toast is sill are hot from the toaster, sprinkle with olive oil and cheese. If you have a toaster oven, return them to the toaster for 1 minute to melt the cheese; otherwise, arrange the toasts in a skillet over medium heat, cover, and warm for about 1 minute or until the cheese has melted.
- Add the greens to the soup: Add the kale or spinach to the pot and simmering for another 2 minutes, or just until the greens wilt. 6 Serve the soup: Ladle the soup into bowls, sprinkle with oregano and more olive oil, if you like, and serve with Parmesan toasts and extra Parmesan for sprinkling.
You may also like
Spicy, Citrusy Black Beans Black beans cooked with onions, chili peppers, garlic, oregano, red chili sauce, chipotle, cumin, orange juice and lime. Easy Tuscan Bean Soup 30-minute Tuscan bean soup. Italian White beans, kale or spinach, carrots, onion, celery. Such a simple and satisfying weeknight dinner. Three Bean Salad Easy three bean salad, perfect for summer picnics and potlucks! With cannellini beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, celery, red onion, parsley, and a sweet and sour dressing. How to Freeze Soup, Beans, and Broth The best way to freeze soups, beans, broth, and other liquid foods. Maximizes storage space and makes thawing quicker and easier.