For the pita chips:
- 2 rounds pita bread (8- to 12-inches)
- Olive oil (for toasting the pita)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the salad:
- 4 Persian, pickling, or other small cucumbers, thinly sliced (or 1 English cucumber, trimmed, halved vertically, and thinly sliced)
- 4 radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 red onion, very thinly sliced
For the dressing:
- Juice of 1 lemon, or more to taste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Large handful fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- Large handful fresh parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- Prepare pita chips: Set the oven to 375F. With kitchen shears, cut the pita round into 1-inch pieces. In a bowl, sprinkle the pita with just enough olive oil so a drop lands on each piece. Toss well. Sprinkle with salt and toss again.
- Toast the pita chips: Spread the pieces out on a rimmed baking sheet. It's fine if the pieces overlap or cluster together. Bake for 2 minutes, then toss the chips. Bake another 2 minutes and toss again. Remove any pieces that are starting to look crisp and golden. Continue baking another 1 to 2 minutes until all the pieces are crisp and golden. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare the vegetables: In a large bowl combine the cucumbers, radishes, large and cherry tomatoes, scallions, and red onion.
- Dress the salad just before serving: Sprinkle the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper over the vegetables and toss gently but thoroughly. Add the mint and parsley and toss again. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper, if you like. Add the pita chips and toss gently to avoid crushing them. Serve immediately.
You may also like
Fried Catfish Crispy fried catfish fillets coated in a seasoned cornmeal crust! Refried Beans How to make traditional Mexican refried beans, using either regular or pressure cooker methods. BBQ Chicken Burrito Bowl Make-ahead BBQ Chicken Burrito Bowl with corn, black beans, and pico de gallo. Great for lunch or dinner during busy weeks! Deviled Egg Salad An egg salad made in the style of deviled eggs, with mustard, mayo, hot sauce and paprika.