For the pita chips:
- 2 rounds pita bread (8- to 12-inches)
- Olive oil (for toasting the pita)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the salad:
- 4 Persian, pickling, or other small cucumbers, thinly sliced (or 1 English cucumber, trimmed, halved vertically, and thinly sliced)
- 4 radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 red onion, very thinly sliced
For the dressing:
- Juice of 1 lemon, or more to taste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Large handful fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- Large handful fresh parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- Prepare pita chips: Set the oven to 375F. With kitchen shears, cut the pita round into 1-inch pieces. In a bowl, sprinkle the pita with just enough olive oil so a drop lands on each piece. Toss well. Sprinkle with salt and toss again.
- Toast the pita chips: Spread the pieces out on a rimmed baking sheet. It's fine if the pieces overlap or cluster together. Bake for 2 minutes, then toss the chips. Bake another 2 minutes and toss again. Remove any pieces that are starting to look crisp and golden. Continue baking another 1 to 2 minutes until all the pieces are crisp and golden. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare the vegetables: In a large bowl combine the cucumbers, radishes, large and cherry tomatoes, scallions, and red onion.
- Dress the salad just before serving: Sprinkle the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper over the vegetables and toss gently but thoroughly. Add the mint and parsley and toss again. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper, if you like. Add the pita chips and toss gently to avoid crushing them. Serve immediately.
You may also like
Roast Beef Classic roast beef recipe using rump roast, round roast, or sirloin tip. This slow roasting method at low heat is good for tougher cuts of beef; the lower heat prevents any gristle from getting too tough. Buttered Cabbage with Caraway Delicious! Torn cabbage leaves, blanched in salted water, tossed with butter, caraway and celery seeds. Salmon Macaroni Salad Salmon Macaroni Salad with canned salmon, ready in 30 min! Quick and easy pantry dinner or lunch, good for making ahead too. Classic Baked Chicken Easy baked chicken recipe. Chicken breasts, thighs, wings, and legs coated in olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper baked in the oven.