- 2-3 pounds fresh fava (broad) beans, shelled (about 2 cups)
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped green garlic (can substitute 4 cloves chopped garlic)
- Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup or more water
- 5 ounces goat cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
For the parmesan toasts:
- 1/2 baguette, thinly sliced
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Remove the outer shell of the fava beans: Remove the outer shell from the fava beans. The easiest way to do this is to work over a large bowl, bend the fava bean pod near one of the beans, squeeze the bean with your fingers, to have it shoot out into the bowl when the bean snaps. Keep squeezing, pinching and snapping, until you've de-beaned all the pods.
- Boil the beans in salted water: Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon salt. Add the shelled beans, simmer for 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove beans from the hot water and place in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking and to shock the beans into maintaining their bright green color.
- Remove the beans' outer peels: When the beans have sunk to the bottom of the bowl of ice water, fish them out and remove and discard the outer peel.
- Sauté the garlic: In a small skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium. Add the chopped green garlic (or chopped regular garlic cloves) and cook until softened, but not browned, about 3 or 4 minutes.
- Purée shelled beans with garlic, zest, lemon juice, water, olive oil: Place shelled and peeled beans in a food processor with softened green garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, and water. Pulse until smooth. Stream in a tablespoon or two more of olive oil while puréeing.
- Stir in goat cheese: Scrape mixture out of food processor into a bowl. Mix in the goat cheese until well combined. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Serve with sliced cucumbers or jicama.
You may also like
Spicy, Citrusy Black Beans Black beans cooked with onions, chili peppers, garlic, oregano, red chili sauce, chipotle, cumin, orange juice and lime. Red Beans and Rice A Southern classic, red beans cooked with smoked shanks, onions, celery, bell peppers, and spices, served over rice. Wax Beans with Mint Simple wax beans recipe with wax, or yellow green beans, chopped mint, olive oil, and salt. Delicious combination of mint with the beans. Stove-top Baked Beans A richly flavored stove top baked bean recipe combining molasses, bacon, ketchup and vinegar - a great addition to hot dogs too.