- 4 small (15 ounces, 443 g) red potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 can (14 to 16 ounces, 400 to 453 g) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 cups (700 ml) chicken stock
- 2 pounds (.90 kg) boneless firm-fleshed white fish, such as haddock, halibut, hake, flounder, pollock, whiting, or other local fish (it’s okay if the skin is still on)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
For the salad:
- 1 lb of fresh lump Dungeness crabmeat, picked through to remove the small pieces of shell or cartilage
- 1 1/2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp minced shallot or purple onion
- 1 medium sized mango, peeled, pitted, and diced (See How to Cut a Mango)
- 1 firm but ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced
- Tabasco sauce
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Prepare the potatoes: Without peeling, slice the potatoes into 1/4-inch rounds. Steam them over boiling water in a vegetable steamer, tightly covered, for 10 minutes, or until tender. Set aside.
- Make the tomato sauce: Meanwhile, In a Dutch oven or other large pot over medium heat, heat the oil and add the ginger, garlic, tomatoes and their liquid, sugar, salt, black pepper, and red pepper. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the stock, bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the flavors mellow. Add the potatoes and return the sauce to a boil. Simmer 2 minutes.
- Add the fish: Cut the fillets into 3-inch pieces. Add them to the sauce and press them down into the pan to submerge them in the liquid. Cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes, or until the fish is opaque and flakes easily with the tip of a knife.
- Serve: Taste for seasoning and add more salt and black pepper, if you like. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
You may also like
Salmon Teriyaki Skewers with Pineapple Fresh salmon, marinated in teriyaki sauce and grilled on skewers with pineapple and green onions. Shrimp and Grits Southern style shrimp and grits! Easy to make at home, grits topped with shrimp, onions, peppers and bacon. Grilled Shrimp with Italian Tomato Salsa Grilled shrimp with an Italian tomato salsa of fresh, uncooked tomatoes, black olives, garlic and parsley. Asian Tuna Salad Asian inspired tuna salad with canned tuna, radishes, cilantro, shredded carrot, ginger, rice vinegar and sesame oil.