- 3 medium, firm green tomatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning (optional)
- 1/2 cup milk or buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup peanut oil or other vegetable oil
For the dipping sauce:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Cut unpeeled tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices. Sprinkle slices with salt. Let tomato slices stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, place in separate shallow bowls: the flour and Cajun seasoning (if using), buttermilk and egg, and bread crumbs and cornmeal.
- Heat the peanut oil in a skillet on medium heat. Beat the egg and the buttermilk together. Dip tomato slices in the flour-seasoning mix, then buttermilk-egg mixture, then the cornmeal-bread crumb mix. In the skillet, fry half of the coated tomato slices at a time, for 3-5 minutes on each side or until brown. Set the cooked tomatoes on paper towels to drain. These are fantastic with a little Tabasco sauce or remoulade.
You may also like
Radicchio Salad with Green Olives, Chickpeas, and Parmesan A beautiful radicchio salad with California green ripe olives, chickpeas, and Parmesan. Quick and easy to toss together. Great with chicken or fish. Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars Tasty no-bake chocolate peanut butter bars, including kosher substitutions for Passover Fried Catfish Crispy fried catfish fillets coated in a seasoned cornmeal crust! Pinto Beans with Bacon and Jalapeños Pinto beans with sautéed onions, bacon, and pan roasted jalapenos.