- 3 medium, firm green tomatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning (optional)
- 1/2 cup milk or buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup peanut oil or other vegetable oil
For the dipping sauce:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Cut unpeeled tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices. Sprinkle slices with salt. Let tomato slices stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, place in separate shallow bowls: the flour and Cajun seasoning (if using), buttermilk and egg, and bread crumbs and cornmeal.
- Heat the peanut oil in a skillet on medium heat. Beat the egg and the buttermilk together. Dip tomato slices in the flour-seasoning mix, then buttermilk-egg mixture, then the cornmeal-bread crumb mix. In the skillet, fry half of the coated tomato slices at a time, for 3-5 minutes on each side or until brown. Set the cooked tomatoes on paper towels to drain. These are fantastic with a little Tabasco sauce or remoulade.
You may also like
Tuna Patties Quick, easy, delicious tuna patties! Best thing you can make with canned tuna. Kid-friendly, Budget-friendly. Roast Chicken with Grapes Whole roast chicken, stuffed with grapes and seasoned with rosemary, thyme, onions, and lemon. Chocolate Ganache Torte Over-the-top rich chocolate ganache torte recipe with up to two pounds of chocolate, a stick of butter and a cup of cream. Also called Death-By-Chocolate. Cinnamon Sticky Buns Cinnamon sweet sticky buns, with melted brown sugar and pecans.