- 3 medium, firm green tomatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning (optional)
- 1/2 cup milk or buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup peanut oil or other vegetable oil
For the dipping sauce:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Cut unpeeled tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices. Sprinkle slices with salt. Let tomato slices stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, place in separate shallow bowls: the flour and Cajun seasoning (if using), buttermilk and egg, and bread crumbs and cornmeal.
- Heat the peanut oil in a skillet on medium heat. Beat the egg and the buttermilk together. Dip tomato slices in the flour-seasoning mix, then buttermilk-egg mixture, then the cornmeal-bread crumb mix. In the skillet, fry half of the coated tomato slices at a time, for 3-5 minutes on each side or until brown. Set the cooked tomatoes on paper towels to drain. These are fantastic with a little Tabasco sauce or remoulade.
You may also like
Rabbit Stew with Mushrooms Hearty rabbit stew with fresh and dried mushrooms, parsnips, garlic, shallots, and sherry. How to Make Butterscotch When was the last time you tasted authentic butterscotch? A classic butterscotch sauce recipe with brown sugar, butter, and cream. Corn Chowder Simple corn chowder made with sweet, fresh corn, onion, carrot, celery, potatoes, red bell pepper, milk, and bacon. Apple Coffee Cake Apple Coffee Cake that's quick, easy, and delicious! Perfect for a Sunday brunch or with your morning coffee.