- 2 Tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar
- 5 Tbsp soy sauce (use gluten-free soy sauce if cooking gluten-free)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp peeled, grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon chile pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
Beef and stir-fry
- 1 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 lb top sirloin steak
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil (preferably peanut)
- 1 Tbsp dark toasted sesame oil (optional)
- 3-4 green onions, cut on a diagonal, 1/2-inch apart, including the greens
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2-3 hot chilis, preferably red serranos, seeded, sliced
- 1-inch nob of ginger, peeled, cut lengthwise into matchstick shapes
- 1/2 cup loosely packed, chopped cilantro
- Chill steak, slice into strips: Chill the steak in the freezer for 30 minutes before you slice it, this will make it easier to cut in thin slices. Slice the steak first crosswise in 1/2-inch thick slices. The cut each slice lengthwise into strips.
- Marinate the beef: In a medium bowl, whisk together the marinade ingredients; the soy sauce, vinegar, grated ginger, honey, red chile flakes, and cumin. Mix the beef in with the marinade to coat and let it sit for at least 30 minutes, and up to 4 hours, in the fridge.
- Make cornstarch slurry: In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of cold water to make a slurry.
- Brown the beef strips: Heat the oil in a wok (vegetable oil plus dark sesame oil if using), or a large sauté pan, over high heat until it is nearly smoking. As the oil is heating up, pat the beef dry and separate it into small batches no larger than what can fit into the palm of your hand. Working in batches, sauté beef until just brown outside but rare inside, no more than 1 minute. Transfer beef to a bowl.
- Stir fry chiles, garlic, ginger: When all of the beef is cooked, put the chiles and garlic into the pan and stir-fry 30-45 seconds. Add the julienned ginger and cook for 30-45 seconds more.
- Add beef, cornstarch slurry, scallions: Add the beef back to the pan. Add the cornstarch slurry. Add the scallions and mix everything together. Cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, stir in cilantro: Turn the heat off and mix in the cilantro. Serve at once with steamed white rice.
You may also like
Swedish Meatballs Classic Swedish meatballs made from a mixture of beef and pork, flavored with nutmeg and cardamom and served with a rich beef and sour cream gravy. Beef Roast Braised in Red Wine Not your everyday pot roast recipe! Beef roast braised in red wine, with pancetta, onions, carrots, celery, tomato, and garlic. Roast Beef Tenderloin with Sautéed Mushrooms Roast Beef Tenderloin, seared then oven roasted, served with mushrooms sautéed in the pan drippings with butter and herbs. Cowboy Steak with Chimichurri Sauce Frenched beef rib-eye steak seared first to brown, then cooked on lower heat to finish, served with parsley, oregano, garlic chimichurri sauce.