- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup minced crystallized ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Make the crust batter: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter. Add 1/3 cup of sifted powdered sugar, and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in half a teaspoon of the lemon zest, the ground ginger, the crystallized ginger, and a pinch of salt. Add 1 1/2 cups of flour in batches, a 1/4 cup at a time, beating after each addition. Continue to beat the crust batter until it is well combined.
- Bake the crust: Spread the crust batter evenly over the bottom of a 13x9-inch baking dish. Bake at 350°F for 12 to 15 minutes, or until browned lightly around the edges.
- Make the lemon batter: While the crust is baking, whisk together the eggs, granulated sugar, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest, 3 Tbsp of flour, the baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt in a medium sized bowl. Whisk until well blended.
- Pour batter into pre-baked crust and bake: Pour the lemon batter over the pre-baked crust. Bake at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes or until the top is golden. If you want, sift a little additional powdered sugar over the top. Let the lemon bars cool in the pan on a rack. Cut it into 36 pieces.
You may also like
Cream Cheese Pecan Cookies Buttery cookies with the tang of cream cheese and studded with chopped pecans. Chocolate Orange Shortbread Cookies Shortbread cookies packed with chocolate and laced with orange zest. Chocolate Chip Cookies These Chocolate Chip Cookies are the BEST! One special ingredient helps deepens the flavor and gives the cookie a chewier texture. So good! Soft and Chewy Lemon Cookies For lemon lovers only! Made with zest, juice, and extract.