- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 pound (1 cup, packed) finely shredded jack cheese
- 1/4 pound (1 cup, packed) finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup corn kernels (frozen is okay, if frozen, defrost before using)
- 1 1/4 cups chopped roasted, seeded green chiles (or three 4 ounce cans diced roasted green chiles)*
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup panko or other breadcrumbs
- Cook the macaroni very al dente: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil (a tablespoon of salt for every 2 quarts of water). Add the macaroni pasta. Return to a rolling boil, and boil, uncovered, for about 2 minutes less than the cooking time given on the pasta box instructions. The pasta should be mostly cooked, but still a little too firm to eat; it will complete its cooking in the oven. When the pasta is ready, drain it into a colander and run cold water over it to stop the cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Make a roux with butter and flour: In an ovenproof pot such as a casserole or Dutch oven, heat the butter over medium heat. When the butter is melted and bubbly, stir in the flour to make a roux. Cook this, stirring often, for about 2 minutes. You don't want the roux to brown.
- Slowly whisk in milk, then the cheeses: Add the milk to the roux, a little at a time, stirring constantly so that lumps do not form. Whisk until smooth. Stir in the cheeses third at a time, stirring to incorporate after each addition.
- Stir in pasta, chiles, corn, lime juice, salt: Add the macaroni, chiles, corn and lime juice and stir until well combined. Taste for salt, add a teaspoon, less or more, if needed.
- Top with panko and bake: Top the mac and cheese with panko or breadcrumbs. Bake uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes at 400°F, or until the breadcrumbs are lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
You may also like
Buffalo Chicken Dip Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Dip! Perfect for a Game Day party or tailgate. 30 minutes. Pimento Cheese Pimento Cheese! Southern staple, a spreadable dip for celery, sandwiches, crackers, with pimentos, cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, cream cheese. Nachos Classic Tex Mex nachos. Corn tortilla chips, baked with refried beans, shredded cheddar cheese, and jalapeno peppers. Served with salsa, guacamole, sour cream and cilantro. Spinach Frittata Quick and easy spinach frittata recipe with eggs, fresh spinach, onions, garlic, Parmesan and goat cheese, and sun-dried tomatoes.