- 2 slices dark rye bread
- Several thin slices of aged, Gruyere Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup drained and heated sauerkraut
- 2 teaspoons of butter
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup loosely packed arugula, watercress, or just another cup of shredded cabbage
- 10 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat a frying pan to medium high heat. For each slice of bread, butter one side and place slice butter side down on the hot pan.
- Add a layer of cheese to one of the slices. As the bread begins to toast just slightly, and the cheese begins to soften, spread the heated sauerkraut over the slice of bread with cheese. Using a spatula, flip the cheese-less bread slice over on top of the slice with cheese and sauerkraut.
- After 30 sec or so, check to see if the cheese is just beginning to melt. If it is, flip the whole sandwich over onto the other side. Toast a minute more or less on that side until the cheese has melted, but isn't runny. Remove the sandwich from the pan. Slice in half.
You may also like
Tarragon Tuna Melt Classic grilled cheese tuna salad sandwich with tarragon. Tuna melt recipe with French loaf bread, canned tuna, mayonnaise, cheddar cheese, parsley, lemon, tarragon. Turkey Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Pickled Onions Two slices of light rye bread, sauteed in butter, with slices of jack cheese, leftover turkey, arugula and pickled onions. Greens, Eggs, and Ham, Grilled Cheese Sandwich Grilled cheese sandwich with slices of ham, a fried egg, baby spinach, and gruyere cheese on rye bread. Gruyere, Apple, and Fig Jam Panini Grilled cheese panini sandwich with gruyere cheese, Granny Smith apples, and fig jam.