- 2-3 pounds kielbasa, Polish sausage or bratwurst
- 1 to 2 light-colored (not dark) beers
- 1 to 1 1/2 pints of sauerkraut
- 2 medium yellow onions, thickly sliced
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 Tbsp. caraway seed
For the casserole
- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) regular salted butter
- 1 pound crimini or button mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 to 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Grill the sausages slowly over medium heat, allowing them to get well browned. Be patient; do not be tempted to grill the links over high heat, or they will break open and the juices and fat will drain into the grill (they may break open anyway, but they'll break less if you cook them slowly).
- Heat the beer with celery seed and caraway seeds: While the sausages are cooking, put an aluminum grilling pan on a cooler part of the grill and pour in the beer. Stir in the celery and caraway seeds and salt. Bring to a simmer. (This may require covering the grill.)
- Add sausages and sauerkraut: Once the sausages are browned add the sausages, the sauerkraut and sauerkraut juices to the pan.
- Grill the onions: Paint the sliced onion with the vegetable oil and grill on high direct heat. If your grates are too wide and you think you will lose too much onion through the grates, you can either skip the grilling part and put the onions directly into the beer bath, or you can cut the onions in halves or quarters and grill them that way. Then slice them and add them to the beer.
- Cover the grill and simmer (a low simmer, not a boil) for 30 minutes to 2 hours before serving. Cut the sausages into serving sized pieces before serving. Serve as is in a bowl or on a plate, or in a sandwich roll. Serve with mustard on the side.
You may also like
Tapioca Pudding One of our favorite desserts growing up! This tapioca pudding recipe uses small pearl tapioca, milk, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Turkey Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Pickled Onions Two slices of light rye bread, sauteed in butter, with slices of jack cheese, leftover turkey, arugula and pickled onions. Barbecued Pork Shoulder on a Gas Grill Fall apart tender and smoky, barbecued pork shoulder, cooked low and slow on a 2-burner gas grill. Cheesy Bread A cross between garlic bread and pizza, cheesy bread is a quick, easy, and delicious party snack.