- 2 firm, ripe tomatoes (not overly ripe or they will fall apart when you grill them), cut in half around the middle
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt (or fleur de sel if you can get it)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 basil leaves, thinly sliced (roll them up like a cigar and then slice them to make nice thin slices)
- Shredded red cabbage
- Sliced radishes
- Sour Cream
- Lime wedges
- Standing over a sink, use your fingers to gently dislodge and remove the watery pulp and seeds. (Although the seeds and pulp contain a lot of flavor, when you grill the tomatoes they are going to be lost anyway.)
- Preheat your grill on high heat for direct grilling. Use a grill basket or fine grill grate if you can, it will make it much easier to work with the tomatoes (or any other vegetables you grill). Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper. Brush the cut side of the tomatoes with olive oil. Brush the grill grate or grill pan with olive oil. Place the tomatoes, cut side down on the grill surface. Cover the grill and let cook for about 4 minutes. (Check after 2 minutes.) Use a metal spatula to lift tomatoes off of the grill for serving.
- Place on a serving dish, cut side up. Drizzle a little more olive oil on the tomatoes. Sprinkle with just a little more salt and pepper. Sprinkle with thinly sliced basil.
You may also like
Celery Stir Fry Japanese-style stir-fry, thin batons of celery, stir-fried with chili-infused oil and soy sauce. Easy Poached Eggs How to poach an egg, with great results every time. It's easy! Flank Steak Stir Fry with Asparagus and Red Pepper This Flank Steak Stir Fry comes together quickly with flank steak, asparagus, and red bell peppers. Perfect for a quick midweek dinner! Tomato Salad with Soy Sauce Fresh garden tomatoes sprinkled with olive oil, rice vinegar, and soy sauce.