- 2 lbs oxtails
- 1 strip dried orange peel (zest, not the pith)
- 2 star anise
- 1 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- Salt, at least a tablespoon, more to taste
- 1/2 cup of shelled, skinned, raw peanuts (can sub roasted unsalted peanuts)
- 1/8 teaspoon chili pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- A handful of fresh mustard greens, coarsely chopped (about 2 cups, loosely packed)
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Green onions, white and green parts, sliced on diagonal
- Freshly grated ginger
- Stovetop or electric pressure cooker (I use a 6-quart Instant Pot)
- Metal steamer basket or silicone steamer basket
- Parboil the oxtails, trim of excess fat: Bring a large pot (5-quart), half filled with water, to a boil. Add the oxtails. Parboil for 30 minutes. Drain the pot. Rinse the oxtails in water. Trim the oxtails of any excess fat.
- Simmer oxtails in water with seasonings for 1 hour: Return the oxtails to the pot. Cover with water by an inch. Add the orange peel, star anise, ginger, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Cover and let simmer for one hour.
- Skim fat: At the point, you can either skim the fat off the soup and proceed to the next step, or let the soup cool, and chill it overnight in the refrigerator. The next day the fat will have solidified and will be easy to pull up from the top of the soup. The flavors will also have had more of a chance to blend and be absorbed by the oxtails if you let the soup sit overnight.
- Add chili pepper flakes, mustard greens: Bring soup to a simmer. Add the chili pepper flakes and mustard greens. Cook for 5 more minutes, or until the mustard greens are tender.
- Garnish with cilantro, green onions, ginger to serve: Serve with garnishes of chopped fresh cilantro, green onions, and freshly grated ginger. If you want, you can strip the meat off the bones before serving. We prefer the meat served bone-in, in which case you will want to provide a bowl for the bones.
You may also like
Baked Spaghetti Casserole of thin spaghetti pasta, sausage, mushroom, and tomato sauce, ricotta, Parmesan, and Mozzarella cheeses. Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Pasta Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Pasta with penne, sautéed strips of chicken breast, broth, cream, goat cheese, parmesan, lemon, and asparagus! Easy midweek meal, perfect for spring! Classic Wedge Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing Wedge salad with blue cheese dressing is such a classic! Made with iceberg lettuce, bacon, cherry tomatoes, and homemade blue cheese dressing. Takes 15 minutes. Bouillabaisse A classic French shellfish and fish stew recipe, prepared with the freshest possible seafood, caught and served the same day. Served with a spicy sauce rouille.