- A colander for rinsing the grapes
- 1 large, 12-quart pot
- 1 large 6 or 8-quart pot
- A very large fine mesh sieve, or cheesecloth
- Slice both ends of the prickly pear off. Discard them.
- Make one long vertical slice down the body of the prickly pear.
- Slip your finger into the slice and grab a hold of the skin.
- Begin to peel back the thick fleshy skin that's wrapped around the prickly pear. Discard the skin. You'll be left with the prickly pear itself. The flesh is st with tons of little edible seeds, if you like them, feel free to just chop the prickly pear up and eat, seeds and all. To extract the juice, place the "husked" prickly pears into a blender or food processor and pulse until liquefied. Place the juice into a fine mesh sieve and push out the juice into a pitcher or bowl. Discard the remaining pulp and seeds. Use the juice as you like. Depending on the size of the prickly pears, 6 to 12 prickly pears will get you about 1 cup of juice. It's great mixed in with some fresh lemonade, just use equal parts of prickly pear juice to lemonade.
You may also like
Limeade with Mint Refreshing limeade served with sprigs of mint! PERFECT drink on a hot summer day. Hot Chocolate Keep warm with homemade hot chocolate! Discussion of chocolate types. Recommendations for variations. Mixed Berry Sangria This Mixed Berry Red Wine Sangria is made with red wine, brandy, orange juice, fresh or frozen berries! Perfect refreshing summer drink for a party! Berry Banana Smoothie Berry banana smoothie! So EASY, just fresh or frozen berries, banana, yogurt, honey, and ice. Lots more smoothie ideas in the comments!