- 8-10 lemons (Meyer if you have them)
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup of kosher salt
- Extra fresh squeezed lemon juice, if needed
- Sterilized quart canning jar
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 5 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- Dash red pepper flakes
- Put 2 tablespoons of kosher salt at the bottom of your canning jar.
- Rinse and scrub clean the lemons. With each lemon, cut off any stems. Cut off 1/4-inch from the tip of the lemons. Cut the lemons lengthwise in half, but keep the lemon attached at the base, do not cut all the way through. Then make another cut the same way, as if you were cutting the lemons into quarters, but not all the way through.
- Gently pull open the lemons and sprinkle well with kosher salt, inside and out.
- Put the prepared lemons in your canning jar and press them down so that their juices come out and rise to the top. Pack the jar with lemons, making sure that they are covered with juice. Add more juice if needed, and add a couple more tablespoons of kosher salt to the top.
- Close the lid to the jar and let it sit at room temperature on the counter for a few days. Turn the jar upside down every so often. After a few days put the jar of lemons in the refrigerator for at least 3 weeks, until the rinds of the lemons soften. Turn the jar upside down occasionally while storing in the refrigerator.
- To use preserved lemons in cooking, remove one from the jar and rinse it to remove the salt. Discard any seeds. Remove the pulp. Thinly slice or chop the preserved lemon rind to use in a recipe. Preserved lemons can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 6 months. Note: Experiment with adding spices to the preserved lemons—cardamom, vanilla, cloves, coriander seeds, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, peppercorns.
You may also like
The Finger Test to Check the Doneness of Meat Easily check for the doneness of meat without using a thermometer by comparing how the meat feels with the feeling of your hand as you touch different fingers together. How to Trim an Artichoke Here's a simple photo tutorial on how to trim an artichoke down to its heart. How to Steam Broccoli Perfectly Every Time Delicious basic steamed broccoli recipe! How to steam broccoli so that it stays vibrant green. The easiest way to cook this wonderful vegetable. How to Make a Lattice Top for a Pie Crust A how-to guide on making a lattice top for your homemade pies. Step-by-step instructions with photographs.