- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken stock (or vegetable stock for vegetarian option)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 whole Scotch bonnet chile (can substitute a whole habanero)
- Lime (optional)
- Medium (2-quart) or larger pot with lid
- Large strainer
- Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté for 4-5 minutes, until they begin to brown on the edges.
- Add the garlic and rice, stir well and cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the grated ginger, salt, water, stock and coconut milk and stir well. Add the kidney beans and sprinkle the thyme over everything. Add the whole Scotch bonnet chile (or habanero); it will season the rice much like a bay leaf would. Bring to a simmer, then turn the heat to low and cover.
- The rice should be done in about 15-20 minutes, depending on the type of rice you are using (some long grained rice takes longer to cook). Check after 15 minutes. Once done, remove from heat and cover for 10 minutes. To serve, fluff with a fork. Sprinkle with a little lime juice if you want. Discard the habanero (or eat it, if you dare!)
You may also like
Arroz Con Pollo Classic dish of Spain and Latin America, this arroz con pollo recipe is browned chicken cooked with rice, onions, garlic, and tomatoes. Wild Rice Salad Delicious rice salad with wild rice and basmati rice, green onions, celery, peas, dried cranberries, pine nuts, in a sesame vinegar and oil dressing. Curry Rice Salad Curry rice salad prepared with brown rice, curry powder or paste, bell pepper, green onions, celery, snow peas, raisins, apple, cilantro, and sesame oil. Spanish Rice My mother's signature Spanish rice recipe, a delicious accompaniment to steak, chicken, and Mexican entrees such as tacos or enchiladas