- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken stock (or vegetable stock for vegetarian option)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 whole Scotch bonnet chile (can substitute a whole habanero)
- Lime (optional)
- Medium (2-quart) or larger pot with lid
- Large strainer
- Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté for 4-5 minutes, until they begin to brown on the edges.
- Add the garlic and rice, stir well and cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the grated ginger, salt, water, stock and coconut milk and stir well. Add the kidney beans and sprinkle the thyme over everything. Add the whole Scotch bonnet chile (or habanero); it will season the rice much like a bay leaf would. Bring to a simmer, then turn the heat to low and cover.
- The rice should be done in about 15-20 minutes, depending on the type of rice you are using (some long grained rice takes longer to cook). Check after 15 minutes. Once done, remove from heat and cover for 10 minutes. To serve, fluff with a fork. Sprinkle with a little lime juice if you want. Discard the habanero (or eat it, if you dare!)
You may also like
Summer Garden Risotto Italian risotto made with summer vegetables such as corn, bell peppers, green onions and basil. Wild Rice Stuffing A wild rice dressing with croutons, walnuts dried cranberries and mushrooms. Saffron Rice Pilaf Saffron rice, an Indian rice pilaf seasoned with saffron, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, orange zest, pistachios, and almonds. Also called parsi pulao. Red Beans and Rice A Southern classic, red beans cooked with smoked shanks, onions, celery, bell peppers, and spices, served over rice.