- 1/2 cup malt vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 2 Tbsp dark rum
- 2 Scotch bonnet peppers (or habaneros), with seeds, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 green onion tops, chopped
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme or 2 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons ground allspice
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 (5 or 6 pound) roasting chicken, cut in half, lengthwise
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- 6-quart electric or stovetop pressure cooker (like an Instant Pot)
- Put vinegar, rum, hot peppers, onion, green onion tops, thyme, olive oil, salt, pepper, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and molasses into a blender. Pulse until mostly smooth.
- Place chicken in a large freezer bag, or in a large roasting pan or baking dish. Pour lime juice over the chicken and coat well. Add the jerk paste to the chicken pieces and coat well. Seal the bag or cover the chicken in the pan with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- When you are ready to cook the chicken, remove chicken from the marinade bag or pan. Put the remaining marinade into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside to use as a basting sauce for the chicken. If you want you can reserve a little of the marinade (once boiled for 10 minutes since it has been in contact with raw chicken) to serve with the chicken or to mix with some ketchup and a dash of soy sauce for a serving sauce. Cut chicken into pieces. Serve with black beans and rice. Serves 6 to 8. Recipe adapted from several sources, including Bon Appetit magazine.
You may also like
Stuffed Herbed Chicken with Boursin Cheese Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin, rolled up with herbed Boursin cheese spread and basil, coated in a Parmesan bread crumb crust, and baked. Skillet Chicken Puttanesca This Skillet Chicken Puttanesca comes together so quickly, you'll hardly believe how good it tastes. Made with chicken breasts, canned tomatoes, olives, capers, anchovies, fresh oregano, and plenty of olive oil. Ready in 30 minutes. Beer Can Chicken Tender, falling-off-the-bone, moist on the inside, crispy on the outside. That's what you get with beer can chicken (also known as beer butt chicken). Greek Chicken Skewers with Flatbread and Yogurt Sauce (Chicken Souvlaki) Greek Chicken Skewers (a.k.a. Souvlaki!) served with warm flatbread and tangy yogurt sauce. A simple and healthy weeknight meal. Cook on a grill or indoors on the stovetop.