- 1/2 cup malt vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 2 Tbsp dark rum
- 2 Scotch bonnet peppers (or habaneros), with seeds, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 green onion tops, chopped
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme or 2 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons ground allspice
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 (5 or 6 pound) roasting chicken, cut in half, lengthwise
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- 6-quart electric or stovetop pressure cooker (like an Instant Pot)
- Put vinegar, rum, hot peppers, onion, green onion tops, thyme, olive oil, salt, pepper, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and molasses into a blender. Pulse until mostly smooth.
- Place chicken in a large freezer bag, or in a large roasting pan or baking dish. Pour lime juice over the chicken and coat well. Add the jerk paste to the chicken pieces and coat well. Seal the bag or cover the chicken in the pan with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- When you are ready to cook the chicken, remove chicken from the marinade bag or pan. Put the remaining marinade into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside to use as a basting sauce for the chicken. If you want you can reserve a little of the marinade (once boiled for 10 minutes since it has been in contact with raw chicken) to serve with the chicken or to mix with some ketchup and a dash of soy sauce for a serving sauce. Cut chicken into pieces. Serve with black beans and rice. Serves 6 to 8. Recipe adapted from several sources, including Bon Appetit magazine.
You may also like
Soba Noodle Soup with Chicken and Bok Choy This soba noodle soup with chicken and baby bok choy is speedy comfort food! Seasoned with ginger, lime, scallions, and herbs. A true 30-minute meal. How to Poach Chicken, the Quick and Easy Way Poaching chicken is the EASIEST way to cook chicken for quick weeknight meals! Great for making shredded or sliced chicken for easy soups, lunch salads, burrito bowls, and more. Sweet and Sour Chicken Chinese-style sweet and sour chicken, stir-fried with bell peppers and pineapple chunks. Chicken Breasts with Mustard Cream Sauce Easy recipe for chicken breasts with a quick mustard cream sauce! Ready in under 30 minutes. Great with rice, pasta, or a green salad.