- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 pound bulk sweet Italian sausage, or other sausage (use gluten-free sausage if cooking gluten-free)
- 1 onion, sliced thin (about 1 1/2 cup's worth of sliced onions)
- 2 large garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1 pound kale (1 large bunch), center thick rib removed, leaves roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 15-ounce can of white beans, rinsed and drained
- Salt and pepper
Many options here:
- Olive oil, butter, or mayonnaise (use olive oil if cooking vegan)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon zest or juice, balsamic vinegar, seasoned rice vinegar
- Toasted almonds, toasted sesame seeds
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the bulk sausage; if you can't find bulk sausage, remove the casings on the links. Cook for 3-4 minutes, then add the onion slices and turn the heat to high. Cook until the edges of the onions brown, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the kale, sprinkle salt over everything, then add the chicken stock. Cover the pan, lower the heat to medium and cook for 2 minutes.
- Uncover, mix everything well (the kale will have cooked down by now) and add the beans. Cover the pot again and lower the heat to low. Cook another 5 minutes, then turn off the heat. Let stand 5 minutes, then serve.
You may also like
Simple Peas and Onions Quick and easy peas and onions! A go-to side for almost any meal. Mexican Green Bean Salad Mexican green bean salad with fresh green beans, cilantro, jalapeno, red onion, cotija cheese, avocado, tomato, olive oil and lime juice. Stir Fried Green Beans with Ginger and Onions Green beans stir fried with ginger, onions, garlic and a little soy sauce. Kale and Roasted Vegetable Soup A hearty winter soup recipe with kale, white beans, and roasted carrots, butternut squash, tomatoes, onions, and garlic.