- 2 cups tomato sauce or ketchup
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp chipotle powder (optional)
- 4 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Cayenne to taste
For the chicken:
- 4 chicken thighs, bone-in with skin
- 4 drumsticks, bone-in with skin
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Heat the butter in a pot over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the onion and sauté until it begins to brown. Add the garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Pour in the remaining ingredients and stir well to combine. Simmer slowly for at least 30 minutes, and up to 2 hours. Adjust the heat and salt levels with the cayenne and salt right before you plan to use this sauce, which is great on ribs, chicken and pork shoulder.
You may also like
Kansas City Barbecue Sauce Homemade Kansas City barbecue sauce! a rich tomato-based sauce that is just as sweet as it is spicy. Grilled Chicken with South Carolina-Style BBQ Sauce Grilled Chicken with South Carolina BBQ Sauce pairs zesty, mustard-based South Carolina-style barbecue sauce with grilled chicken. You get a hint of sweetness and spice from the sauce, and every bite is wonderfully smoky from the grill! Bourbon Barbecue Sauce Outrageously good homemade barbecue sauce with molasses, chili, onion, lemon juice, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and bourbon. Easy BBQ Chicken in the Oven Easy BBQ Chicken in the Oven! Works with any barbecue sauce. Ready in an hour, including marinating and cook time.