- 3 lbs. lamb shoulder or neck, trimmed of fat and cut into 2 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 1/2 cups dried apricots, roughly chopped, or raisins
- 1 1/2 cups almonds, whole and blanched
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1-2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (optional)
- 1 cup carrots, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- In a Dutch oven or other heavy, lidded pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, and cinnamon sticks and cook until the onions are translucent and the mixture is fragrant.
- Add the marinated meat (including the marinade) to the pot and then the chicken stock. Bring the stock to a boil, and skim off any scum that appears.
- Add the apricots, almonds, honey, and carrots and simmer, uncovered, stirring often to prevent scorching, until the meat is very soft and almost falling apart, about 30 minutes longer. The sauce should reduce to a syrupy glaze. At this point taste and add lemon juice to desired level. The lemon juice brings some balance to the sweetness from the honey and apricots. Note: this recipe can be prepared in advance up to this point. Allow to cool, refrigerate and serve within a couple of days.
- Stir in the chopped parsley and transfer to a warmed serving dish. Serve immediately with couscous or rice.
You may also like
Apricot Berry Cobbler Apricot and berry cobbler with buttermilk biscuit cobbler topping. How to Make Fruit Leather Step-by-step guide for making fruit leather, puréed fruit, spread out and dried, then rolled up to store. A great way to use up excess fruit of the season. Lamb Stew with Almonds and Apricots Sweet lamb stew with honey, almonds, and apricots. Traditional North African Mrouzia tagine. Apricot Cherry Galette Beautiful apricot cherry rustic tart, lightly flavored with vanilla and lemon zest, easy tender flaky crust!