- 1 1/4 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 celery rib, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 1/2 Tbsp)
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (or powdered ginger)
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2-3 strips of lemon zest from one lemon
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup basmati rice
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- Cilantro or parsley for garnish
- 6-quart electric or stovetop pressure cooker (like an Instant Pot)
- Coat the chicken pieces with the spices: Whisk the salt, turmeric, cumin, and black pepper together in a medium bowl. Add the chicken pieces and toss with the spices to coat.
- Brown the chicken in olive oil: Heat olive oil in a large, thick-bottomed soup pot on medium high. Add the chicken pieces and brown lightly on all sides, 5-7 minutes total. Remove chicken to a bowl and set aside.
- Sauté onions, celery, garlic, ginger: Add the chopped onion and celery to the pot. Sauté until lightly browned, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook a minute more.
- Add chicken, stock, bay leaves, lemon zest strips, then simmer: Add the chicken pieces back to the pot. Add the stock, bay leaves, lemon zest strips. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add rice, chickpeas, lemon juice, simmer: Add the rice, chickpeas, and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, until the rice is cooked through.
- Add salt pepper to taste: Remove bay leaves and lemon peel strips. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with cilantro or parsley to serve.
You may also like
Blue Corn Chicken Nachos Celebrate Red, White and Blue with these Blue Corn Tortilla Chip Nachos! With a creamy pepper jack cheese sauce, chicken, and pico de gallo Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce Fried chicken served with a mushroom cream sauce. Easy to make, filling, and delicious. Grilled Chicken with Tomato Tarragon Sauce Simple and easy, grilled chicken recipe, topped with a tomato tarragon sauce. Chicken Cacciatore (Hunter Style Chicken) Chicken cacciatore, an Italian hunter-style chicken braised in a tomato-based sauce with onions, garlic, and white wine.