- 1 lb fresh green beans, strings removed, ends snapped off, cut in half into about 1 1/2 inch length pieces
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp lime juice or white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (Mexican oregano if you can get it)
- 3/4 cup packed, chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup canned, pickled jalapeño chili peppers, sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese (salty Mexican cheese that resembles feta)
- 1/2 avocado, sliced or cut into inch long pieces
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 8 wedges, or a cup of halved cherry tomatoes
Many options here:
- Olive oil, butter, or mayonnaise (use olive oil if cooking vegan)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon zest or juice, balsamic vinegar, seasoned rice vinegar
- Toasted almonds, toasted sesame seeds
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the beans and simmer until just crisp tender, about 5 minutes. Drain the beans and run cold water over them to cool them quickly. Drain completely.
- Place beans in a large bowl. Gently mix in the the lime juice or vinegar, olive oil, 1/4 cup onion, sliced pickled jalapeños, sea salt, oregano and cilantro. Let sit for half an hour.
- When ready to serve, gently mix in the chopped red onion and cotija cheese. Serve the avocado slices and tomato wedges on the side or mixed into the salad.
You may also like
Creamy Green Beans and Mushrooms Green beans, lightly boiled, then tossed with sautéed mushrooms and onions, held together with sour cream sauce. Roasted Broccoli with Parmesan Broccoli, tossed in olive oil, lemon juice and salt, roasted and served with parmesan cheese and lots of black pepper. French Green Beans with Butter and Herbs Fresh haricot verts, skinny green beans boiled, drained, then sautéed in butter with onions, tarragon, thyme, parsley, and chives. Roasted Brussels Sprouts Brussels sprouts, oven-roasted with garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese.