- 2 Tbsp canola oil (or other high smoke point oil)
- 1 pound frozen corn (about 3 cups), still frozen
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 14 ounce bag low salt tortilla chips
- 1 pound monterey jack cheese, grated (do not buy pre-grated, it won't melt properly)
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup crumbled Cotija cheese (can sub crumbled feta)
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (can use regular chili powder or smoked paprika)
- 2 Tbsps of Mexican crema or 2 Tbsp sour cream that have been slightly diluted with water
- 1/2 lime, sliced into wedges
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 12-inch skillet
- Sear the corn, then mix with mayo: Heat oil on high heat in a large, cast iron pan. When the oil is almost smoking hot, add half of the frozen corn (not defrosted) to the pan. Spread it out in the pan and let sear. Stir occasionally, until most of the corn kernels have browned a little on at least one side. You'll know the corn is ready when some of the kernels start "popping". Remove the corn from the pan to a bowl, and repeat with the remaining frozen corn kernels. Mix the corn with the mayonnaise and set aside.
- Toast tortilla chips: Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread the tortilla chips out on a large sheet pan and place in the oven for 10 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Make cheese sauce: While the tortilla chips are toasting, make the cheese sauce. Set up a double boiler with an inch of water in the lower pan. If you don't have a double boiler, place an inch of water in a small saucepan and place a metal bowl over it so that steam from the boiling water below heats the bottom of the bowl. Do not let the bowl touch the water. Place the grated monterey jack cheese in the top pan or bowl of the double boiler. Mix with the cornstarch. Pour in the cream and milk (can use half and half if you want). Add the minced garlic. Heat the water in the double boiler to a boil. Let the cheese gently melt, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is smooth.
- Assemble nachos: Once the tortilla chips are lightly browned, remove them from the oven. Transfer to a large serving platter. Pour the cheese sauce over the chips. Sprinkle the top with the toasted corn. Sprinkle with cotija cheese crumbles. Sprinkle with chipotle chili powder. Drizzle with the crema or diluted sour cream. Sprinkle with cilantro. Sprinkle with a little lime juice and serve immediately with lime wedges.
You may also like
Tortilla Pizza with Onions, Mushrooms, and Ricotta A quick and easy recipe for an ultra-thin crust pizza topped with onions, mushrooms, and ricotta cheese. Uses flour tortillas as the pizza base. Broccoli Cheddar Casserole Best broccoli cheese casserole ever. Broccoli florets, blanched and baked with bacon and cheddar cheese in a milk, cream, and egg custard, spiced with black pepper. Mushroom Quiche Mushroom quiche with all-butter pie crust filled and baked with mixture of egg, cream, milk, sauteed mushrooms and shallots. Quick Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese Easy stovetop macaroni and cheese recipe with grated cheddar cheese, milk, butter, macaroni pasta, and cubed ham.