- 2 lbs ground lamb
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped garlic (about 6 cloves)
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger (3-inch piece)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups dried bread crumbs
- 2 small eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
Pomegranate BBQ Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 yellow onions, minced
- 1 Tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1/2 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Combine the lamb and beef in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Sauté onions, carrot, celery, garlic, ginger: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and ginger and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Add the salt, paprika, cumin, curry powder, cayenne, cinnamon, and pepper. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes to release the flavors. Remove from heat and let cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Make meatloaf mixture: Stir the vegetables into the ground meat. Mix in the breadcrumbs, eggs, cilantro, and mint.
- Place meatloaf mixture into loaf pan: Transfer to a 4x8 or 5x9 loaf pan and set in a baking pan. Pour water into the baking pan to reach halfway up the sides of the loaf pan.
- Bake: Bake the meatloaf for 1 1/2 hours, or until firm and cooked through. Let rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Un-mold onto a plate and slice. Serve with optional Pomegranate BBQ sauce, ketchup, or just the drippings from the meatloaf itself. Very good served with rice pilaf.
- Make the (optional) pomegranate BBQ sauce: Combine ingredients in a small sauce pan. Bring to simmer on low heat and cook for 5 minutes just to let the flavors blend. Remove from heat and let cool to room temp before serving. Makes 1 1/2 cups.
You may also like
How to Poach Chicken, the Quick and Easy Way Poaching chicken is the EASIEST way to cook chicken for quick weeknight meals! Great for making shredded or sliced chicken for easy soups, lunch salads, burrito bowls, and more. Easy Beef Brisket Easy! Beef brisket roast, slathered in a mixture of BBQ sauce and soy sauce, wrapped in foil, and baked until falling apart tender. Simple and delicious. Filet Mignon with Red Wine Sauce Filet mignon steak, pan seared and served with a sauce of a red wine reduction with butter. Polenta Sausage Mozzarella Casserole Italian sausage casserole with polenta, Italian sausage, tomato sauce, and Mozzarella cheese.