- 2 lbs ground lamb
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped garlic (about 6 cloves)
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger (3-inch piece)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups dried bread crumbs
- 2 small eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
Pomegranate BBQ Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 yellow onions, minced
- 1 Tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1/2 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Combine the lamb and beef in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Sauté onions, carrot, celery, garlic, ginger: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and ginger and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Add the salt, paprika, cumin, curry powder, cayenne, cinnamon, and pepper. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes to release the flavors. Remove from heat and let cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Make meatloaf mixture: Stir the vegetables into the ground meat. Mix in the breadcrumbs, eggs, cilantro, and mint.
- Place meatloaf mixture into loaf pan: Transfer to a 4x8 or 5x9 loaf pan and set in a baking pan. Pour water into the baking pan to reach halfway up the sides of the loaf pan.
- Bake: Bake the meatloaf for 1 1/2 hours, or until firm and cooked through. Let rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Un-mold onto a plate and slice. Serve with optional Pomegranate BBQ sauce, ketchup, or just the drippings from the meatloaf itself. Very good served with rice pilaf.
- Make the (optional) pomegranate BBQ sauce: Combine ingredients in a small sauce pan. Bring to simmer on low heat and cook for 5 minutes just to let the flavors blend. Remove from heat and let cool to room temp before serving. Makes 1 1/2 cups.
You may also like
Chicken Milanese Classic Italian Chicken Milanese is surprisingly EASY and FAST to make at home. Serve with a side salad for an easy weeknight meal. Make-ahead options. Pork Medallions with Mustard-Caper Sauce Pork tenderloin medallions, sauteed in butter and served with a caper mustard cream sauce. Pasta with Sausage, Tomatoes and Roasted Peppers Pasta tossed with Italian sausage, roasted red bell peppers, olives, capers, fresh tomato and basil Broiled Lobster Tail with Brown Butter Sauce Broiled lobster tail with a sauce of brown butter and toasted hazelnuts