- 2 lbs ground lamb
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped garlic (about 6 cloves)
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger (3-inch piece)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups dried bread crumbs
- 2 small eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
Pomegranate BBQ Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 yellow onions, minced
- 1 Tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1/2 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Combine the lamb and beef in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Sauté onions, carrot, celery, garlic, ginger: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and ginger and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Add the salt, paprika, cumin, curry powder, cayenne, cinnamon, and pepper. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes to release the flavors. Remove from heat and let cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Make meatloaf mixture: Stir the vegetables into the ground meat. Mix in the breadcrumbs, eggs, cilantro, and mint.
- Place meatloaf mixture into loaf pan: Transfer to a 4x8 or 5x9 loaf pan and set in a baking pan. Pour water into the baking pan to reach halfway up the sides of the loaf pan.
- Bake: Bake the meatloaf for 1 1/2 hours, or until firm and cooked through. Let rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Un-mold onto a plate and slice. Serve with optional Pomegranate BBQ sauce, ketchup, or just the drippings from the meatloaf itself. Very good served with rice pilaf.
- Make the (optional) pomegranate BBQ sauce: Combine ingredients in a small sauce pan. Bring to simmer on low heat and cook for 5 minutes just to let the flavors blend. Remove from heat and let cool to room temp before serving. Makes 1 1/2 cups.
You may also like
Green Chile Mac and Cheese What could make mac & cheese even better? Taking it on a southwestern spin with roasted green chiles, corn, and jack cheese! Barbecued Pork Shoulder on a Gas Grill Fall apart tender and smoky, barbecued pork shoulder, cooked low and slow on a 2-burner gas grill. Lasagna Bolognese Traditional Lasagna Bolognese. Layers of flat lasagna noodles baked with alternating layers of slow-cooked Bolognese sauce, bechamel, and Parmesan cheese. Pork Chops with Pomegranate Glaze Pan-seared pork chops with a quick pomegranate juice glaze. Top with pomegranate seeds and parsley. 30 minutes to make.