- 1 pound of sweet mini peppers (about a dozen)
- 1/4 pound (115 g) smoked mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch thick and 2 inch long batons
- 12 basil leaves (as many basil leaves as peppers)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt to taste
*Ras El Hanout Spice Mix:
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Stuff mini peppers with smoked mozzarella and basil: Working one pepper at a time, place flat side down in a way that is most stable for the pepper. With a small sharp knife, cut a 2 1/2 inch slit down the middle on the top of the pepper. If there is a seed pod, scoop it out with a spoon. Stuff the pepper with a basil leaf wrapped mozzarella stick. When you have st￭ all the peppers, brush them on all sides with olive oil. Drizzle balsamic vinegar in the cut openings.
- Cook on grill, in oven, or under broiler: Preheat grill, oven, or broiler for high direct heat (if oven, set to 400°F). If grilling, grill covered, cut side up on high direct heat until you have grill marks, then lower the heat to medium until the cheese is melted and the peppers have begun to soften, about 5 to 10 minutes. If broiling or baking, place on a roasting pan and cook until the cheese is melted and peppers have browned and softened, about 5 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with salt to taste. Let rest for a few minutes before serving.
You may also like
Basil Vinaigrette Have extra garden basil? Make a quick basil vinaigrette for a salad dressing or sauce for chicken, fish, potatoes, or pasta. Fresh Basil Pesto Classic, simple basil pesto recipe with fresh basil leaves, pine nuts, garlic, Romano or Parmesan cheese, extra virgin olive oil, and salt and pepper. Caprese Mini Sandwiches Tasty Caprese mini sandwiches made with Parmesan toasted flatbread, sliced tomatoes, fresh Mozzarella cheese, and basil. Pesto Pasta Salad Summer pesto pasta salad with fresh basil pesto, spiral pasta, pine nuts, olives, peas, and cherry tomatoes.