- 4 slices of bacon (about 5 ounces), chopped
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cups okra, sliced into disks, 1/2 to 3/4-inch thick (fresh or frozen, thawed)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt (use less salt if using seasoned broth)
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 3/4 cup chicken stock*
- Fry the bacon: Spread the chopped bacon out in a pot so it covers the bottom completely and turn the heat to medium. Fry it until it's crispy, then remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve. Drain off all but about 2 tablespoons of bacon fat.
- Add onion, bell pepper: Add the onion and green pepper and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add okra, cayenne, salt, and rice: Add the okra and increase the heat to high. Add the cayenne, salt and rice and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, cover and cook: Stir in the chicken broth, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a low simmer and cook until the rice is done, about 20 minutes.
- Fluff rice, stir in bacon: Fluff up the rice with a fork and stir in the chopped bacon.
You may also like
Okra Pilaf A South Carolina okra pilaf with okra, rice, bacon and green bell pepper. Also called Limpin' Susan. Pickled Okra They're crunchy, not slimy! Lightly spicy homemade pickled okra, with cider vinegar, lemon, garlic, and spices. Easy to make. Stewed Okra and Tomatoes Creole Style Classic southern stewed okra and tomatoes, with bacon, bell pepper, onions, celery, okra and tomatoes. Chicken Gumbo with Andouille Sausage A classic spicy chicken and andouille sausage gumbo with okra.