- 2 eggs plus the yolk of a third egg
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 2 cups of pumpkin pulp purée from a sugar pumpkin* or from canned pumpkin purée (can also use puréed cooked butternut squash)
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream or 1 12 oz. can of evaporated milk
- 1 good crust (see pâte brisée recipe or our no-fail flaky pie crust recipe)
- 9-inch springform pan
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- Beat eggs, mix in sugars, salt, spices, lemon zest: Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Mix in the brown sugar, white sugar, salt, spices—cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg, ground cloves, cardamom, and lemon zest.
- Add pumpkin and cream: Mix in the pumpkin purée. Stir in the cream. Beat together until everything is well mixed.
- Pour into pie shell and bake: Pour the filling into an uncooked pie shell. Bake at a high temperature of 425°F for 15 minutes. Then after 15 minutes, lower the temperature to 350°F. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes more, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. (About half-way through the baking, you may want to put foil around the edges or use a pie protector to keep the crust from getting too browned.)
- Cool on a rack: Cool the pumpkin pie on a wire rack for 2 hours. Note that the pumpkin pie will come out of the oven all p￭ up (from the leavening of the eggs), and will deflate as it cools. Serve with whipped cream.
You may also like
Apple Carrot Cupcake It’s as if carrot cake and apple cake decided to get together and have babies. This apple carrot cupcake is the best of both! Chocolate Pudding Homemade stovetop chocolate pudding! Enjoy chocolate pudding the way it is supposed to be made, from scratch, with cocoa powder, sugar, milk, egg, and chocolate chips. Pear Ginger Maple Pie Pear pie with streusel topping, filled with chopped pears and accented with candied ginger and maple syrup. A perfectly delicious autumn pie. Chocolate Mint Cupcakes If Thin Mints were cupcakes, they would be these! Dark chocolate, minty, cakey cupcakes.