- 2 eggs plus the yolk of a third egg
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 2 cups of pumpkin pulp purée from a sugar pumpkin* or from canned pumpkin purée (can also use puréed cooked butternut squash)
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream or 1 12 oz. can of evaporated milk
- 1 good crust (see pâte brisée recipe or our no-fail flaky pie crust recipe)
- 9-inch springform pan
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- Beat eggs, mix in sugars, salt, spices, lemon zest: Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Mix in the brown sugar, white sugar, salt, spices—cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg, ground cloves, cardamom, and lemon zest.
- Add pumpkin and cream: Mix in the pumpkin purée. Stir in the cream. Beat together until everything is well mixed.
- Pour into pie shell and bake: Pour the filling into an uncooked pie shell. Bake at a high temperature of 425°F for 15 minutes. Then after 15 minutes, lower the temperature to 350°F. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes more, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. (About half-way through the baking, you may want to put foil around the edges or use a pie protector to keep the crust from getting too browned.)
- Cool on a rack: Cool the pumpkin pie on a wire rack for 2 hours. Note that the pumpkin pie will come out of the oven all p￭ up (from the leavening of the eggs), and will deflate as it cools. Serve with whipped cream.
You may also like
Chocolate Ganache Torte Over-the-top rich chocolate ganache torte recipe with up to two pounds of chocolate, a stick of butter and a cup of cream. Also called Death-By-Chocolate. Apple Pie Homemade apple pie with a flaky pie crust and sliced apples, sugar, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla and brandy Vegan Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pudding Cups Vegan chocolate-peanut butter pudding cups! 5 minutes to make and so creamy. Uses avocado instead of eggs and dairy. Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler Easy-to-make strawberry rhubarb cobbler! Strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, orange peel baked with a biscuit-like cobbler crust topping. Serve with whipped cream.