- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus more for greasing the pan
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar, plus 1/3 cup for the topping
- 1/2 cup orange juice (or dry white wine)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely ground yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Zest of 1 large orange
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature (Philadelphia cream cheese recommended)
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups of powdered sugar
- Preheat oven and prepare baking pan: Preheat oven to 375°F. Brush the bottom and sides of an 8-inch round cake pan with oil (can use butter for this too); line the bottom of the pan with wax paper or parchment paper, and brush the top of the paper with oil.
- Make cake batter: In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, 1 cup of the sugar, and orange juice until smooth. Add flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and orange zest; whisk lightly to combine.
- Bake: Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan; sprinkle the top evenly with the remaining 1/3 cup sugar. Bake until cake begins to pull away from sides of pan and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 25-35 minutes.
- Cool: Cool the cake in the pan 20 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cake to separate it from the edge of the pan. Invert the cake gently onto a plate, and remove the parchment paper. Re-invert the cake onto a rack to cool completely before serving.
You may also like
Apple Upside Down Cake Upside Down Apple Cake with caramel sauce and apple wedges in a flour cornmeal batter. Chocolate Zucchini Cake Tried and true moist chocolate zucchini cake with shredded zucchini, orange peel, pecans and a sugar glaze. Blueberry Cake Lovely blueberry cake recipe, simple single layer cake made with two cups of fresh blueberries. Pineapple Upside Down Cake BEST pineapple upside down cake recipe EVER! Caramel topping with pineapple rounds over a dense cake with almond flour.