- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus more for greasing the pan
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar, plus 1/3 cup for the topping
- 1/2 cup orange juice (or dry white wine)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely ground yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Zest of 1 large orange
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature (Philadelphia cream cheese recommended)
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups of powdered sugar
- Preheat oven and prepare baking pan: Preheat oven to 375°F. Brush the bottom and sides of an 8-inch round cake pan with oil (can use butter for this too); line the bottom of the pan with wax paper or parchment paper, and brush the top of the paper with oil.
- Make cake batter: In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, 1 cup of the sugar, and orange juice until smooth. Add flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and orange zest; whisk lightly to combine.
- Bake: Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan; sprinkle the top evenly with the remaining 1/3 cup sugar. Bake until cake begins to pull away from sides of pan and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 25-35 minutes.
- Cool: Cool the cake in the pan 20 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cake to separate it from the edge of the pan. Invert the cake gently onto a plate, and remove the parchment paper. Re-invert the cake onto a rack to cool completely before serving.
You may also like
Peach Blueberry Cake Elegant peach and blueberry cake with a rich, buttery, biscuit-like crust. Persimmon Pudding Cake Rich and wonderful persimmon pudding cake, made with hachiya persimmon pulp, eggs, butter, milk, vanilla, flour, sugar, spices, and chopped nuts. Flourless Lemon Almond Cake A gluten-free, light and airy lemon cake make with almond flour, eggs, and sugar. Perfect for a holiday dessert! Suzanne’s Chocolate Cake Rich, moist, three-layer chocolate cake with a butter cocoa frosting.