- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 pint oysters with their liquor, jarred or freshly shucked, about 2 dozen*
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 celery stalks, minced
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, minced
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cream (can use all milk if you want)
- Splash of Tabasco, Crystal, or other hot sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup parsley, minced
- Strain and reserve the oyster juice, rinse oysters: Strain the oyster juice through a fine-meshed sieve into a bowl to remove any grit. Reserve the juices. Rinse the oysters well, under cold water. Put them in a bowl.
- Make a roux: Melt the butter in a pot over medium heat. Add the flour and stir to make a roux. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook the mixture for a few minutes, stirring often.
- Add celery and onions: When the roux turns the color of coffee-with-cream, stir in the celery and onions. Increase the heat to medium and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add oyster juices, milk, cream, hot sauce: Add the oyster juice and any juices the oysters in the bowl have released. The flour in the roux will absorb the liquid and turn into a paste. Slowly add the milk and cream, stirring to incorporate as you pour them in. Add a healthy splash or two of hot sauce, to taste.
- Heat soup until steamy: Heat the soup to steamy, but below a simmer, over low heat, cook for 15 minutes. (Do not let the soup boil!)
- Add oysters: If you are working with large oysters, you may want to chop them into bite-sized pieces. Add the oysters and cook for another 2 minutes, or until the edges of the oysters just begin to curl. If you want the stew to be more like a smooth soup, purée until smooth. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley to serve.
You may also like
Thanksgiving Planning Plan your Thankgsiving meal with Thanksgiving recipe ideas from Simply Recipes and other food blogs. Champagne Sorbet Champagne sorbet recipe, perfect dessert for the holidays or special occasions. Holiday Punch Festive holiday punch for a crowd! With cranberry juice, orange juice, bourbon, and hard cider. Serves 15 or so. Includes non-alcoholic version. Sweet Potato and Yukon Gold Bake Festive crispy baked sweet potatoes and yukon gold potatoes on a bed of caramelized onions. Perfect for a holiday side!