- 4 chicken thighs, bone-in and skin on (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 4 chicken drumsticks (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup tamari or coconut aminos (or low-sodium soy sauce, if you don't need this to be gluten-free!)
- 3/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar, honey, or dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 2 bay leaves (dried, not fresh)
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoons salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine ground pepper
- Coconut rice or plain steamed rice, to serve
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or dill
- Ground black pepper
- Prepare the chicken: Pat chicken thighs and legs dry with paper towels and season very lightly with salt and pepper.
- Prepare the sauce: Whisk together the tamari, vinegar, fish sauce, and sugar or honey in a measuring cup or bowl and set aside.
- Sauté the ginger and other seasoning ingredients: In a heavy-bottom, high-sided skillet, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Add the ginger, bay leaf, and peppercorns. Sauté for 5 minutes until fragrant. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute, stirring constantly so that garlic doesn’t burn. Scoop the solids from the pan with a slotted spoon and set them aside on a plate, leaving the flavor-infused oil behind.
- Sear the chicken: Turn the heat up to medium high, and brown the chicken on all sides to crisp up the skin. Once skin is nice and golden, pour the sauce over the chicken. Add the ginger and other seasoning ingredients you sautéed in the last step. Bring the sauce to a rolling boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and cook for 25 minutes.
- Pull the chicken from the pan and allow to rest at room temperature.
- Reduce the sauce while the chicken rests. Raise heat to high and boil the sauce for about 10 minutes or until the volume is reduced by about half and the sauce looks nice and thick.
- Serve the chicken over rice and cover with the adobo sauce.
You may also like
Tandoori Chicken Make tandoori chicken on your grill! Chicken legs marinated in lemon juice, yogurt, and aromatic spices. Mom’s Chicken Enchiladas Tex Mex chicken enchiladas, corn tortillas dipped in red chili sauce, rolled up with cooked chicken, covered with more sauce and shredded cheese, and baked. Buffalo Chicken Dip Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Dip! Perfect for a Game Day party or tailgate. 30 minutes. Chicken with Mango Chutney Sauce Roasted chicken thighs served with a sweet sour mango chutney sauce with fresh mangos, onion, garlic, vinegar, sugar, ginger, mustard seeds, and red pepper flakes.