- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds skinless black cod fillets
- 1/4 cup sake
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup canola, rice bran or other neutral oil
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
- Dark sesame oil, for garnish
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal, for garnish
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
For the cherry tomato salad:
- 1 bunch parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/3 cup roasted salted pistachios (optional)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- Pinch of salt (or more if not using the pistachios)
- In a large sauté pan, mix the sake, rice vinegar, canola oil, soy sauce and ginger. Bring to a simmer on medium to medium high heat.
- Lay each fillet in the pan. Use a spoon to baste the tops of each fillet until you see the flakes of the fish separate a little, which should take about 30 seconds to 1 minute per fillet. Let the fish simmer for 3-6 minutes, depending on how thick they are. Estimate 3 minutes for a 1/4 inch-thick fillet, up to 6 minutes for an inch-thick fillet.
- Gently move the fish to individual plates. If you want, use (clean) needle-nosed pliers or tweezers to remove the pin bones in the fillets.
- Increase the heat on the sauce and boil vigorously for 1 minute, stirring constantly to reduce the sauce. Spoon a tablespoon or more of the sauce over each fillet and discard the rest. Drizzle a little bit of sesame oil over each fillet, then garnish with the green onions and toasted sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
You may also like
Pan Simmered Pacific Black Cod Pacific black cod (sable fish) cooked in a broth of sake, rice vinegar, soy sauce and oil, delicious! Baked Salmon with Avocado Mango Salsa Oven-baked salmon fillets served with avocado, mango, chile, lime salsa. Halibut with Fennel, Peppers, and Tomatoes Baked halibut with fennel, peppers, tomatoes, olives and fresh herbs. One skillet supper. Ready in just 30 minutes! Cod with Tomato and Orange Cod fillets cooked in onions, green olives, tomatoes and orange slices.