- 1 lb ground pork (can substitute ground turkey, but add a bit of oil to the pan when cooking)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 cup of chunky, tomato-based salsa (prepared or homemade)
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted, cubed
- 2 Tbsp toasted almonds, chopped
- 2 Tbsp cilantro leaves
- Hot cooked white or yellow rice
For the pasta:
- 1 pound any small shaped pasta, like orecchiette, bowties, or rotini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Brown the ground pork: Heat a large skillet on medium high. Add small chunks of ground pork to the pan, not stirring, so that the meat has a chance to brown. Once one side is nicely browned, use a spatula to flip the pieces to the other side, again stirring as little as possible. Once you have some nice browning, you can stir and cook the pork until all pieces are cooked through and no longer pink. Drain off any fat in excess of a tablespoon.
- Add the onions and spices: Lower the heat to medium. Stir in the onions, garlic, cinnamon, coriander, cumin, oregano, and thyme. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more.
- Gently stir in salsa and mango pieces.
- Cover and heat through: Lower the heat to low. Cover and heat through, about 2 minutes. Spoon into serving dish. Sprinkle with chopped almonds and cilantro to serve. Serve with hot cooked rice.
You may also like
Pasta with Turkey Meatballs and Roasted Vegetables Pasta dinner with turkey meatballs and roasted vegetables. Toss with olive oil, lemon juice, and parsley. Quick, easy, and satisfying. Ready in about 30 minutes. Pressure Cooker Ground Beef Chili 30-minute beef chili in the pressure cooker! Made with green peppers, onions, celery, ground beef, and tomatoes. Top with shredded cheese and sliced green onions. Gluten-free. Grilled Italian Sausage with Peppers, Onions and Arugula Grilled sweet Italian sausages, bell peppers and red onions served over a bed of baby arugula. Shrimp and Grits Southern style shrimp and grits! Easy to make at home, grits topped with shrimp, onions, peppers and bacon.