- 1 lb ground pork (can substitute ground turkey, but add a bit of oil to the pan when cooking)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 cup of chunky, tomato-based salsa (prepared or homemade)
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted, cubed
- 2 Tbsp toasted almonds, chopped
- 2 Tbsp cilantro leaves
- Hot cooked white or yellow rice
For the pasta:
- 1 pound any small shaped pasta, like orecchiette, bowties, or rotini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Brown the ground pork: Heat a large skillet on medium high. Add small chunks of ground pork to the pan, not stirring, so that the meat has a chance to brown. Once one side is nicely browned, use a spatula to flip the pieces to the other side, again stirring as little as possible. Once you have some nice browning, you can stir and cook the pork until all pieces are cooked through and no longer pink. Drain off any fat in excess of a tablespoon.
- Add the onions and spices: Lower the heat to medium. Stir in the onions, garlic, cinnamon, coriander, cumin, oregano, and thyme. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more.
- Gently stir in salsa and mango pieces.
- Cover and heat through: Lower the heat to low. Cover and heat through, about 2 minutes. Spoon into serving dish. Sprinkle with chopped almonds and cilantro to serve. Serve with hot cooked rice.
You may also like
Chicken Gumbo with Andouille Sausage A classic spicy chicken and andouille sausage gumbo with okra. Spicy Grilled Chicken Tacos Spicy grilled chicken tacos! Quick marinade, then grill. Ready in about 30 minutes. Great for a quick weeknight dinner, backyard cookouts, and tailgate parties. Pressure Cooker Chipotle Chicken and Rice Bowls Pressure Cooker Chipotle Chicken and Rice Bowls! Just like fast food take-out, but better. Use the pot-in-pot method to cook the chicken and rice together in your Instant Pot or pressure cooker. Easy Beef Brisket Easy! Beef brisket roast, slathered in a mixture of BBQ sauce and soy sauce, wrapped in foil, and baked until falling apart tender. Simple and delicious.