- 1 pound pork loin or boneless pork chops
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce (use gluten-free soy sauce if cooking gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 4 Tbsp peanut oil or other high smoke point oil (canola, rice bran, or grape seed)
- 5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 8-12 scallions/green onions, sliced diagonally into 1 to 2-inch pieces, green and white parts included
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
For the pasta:
- 8 ounces (225g) penne pasta
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound (450g) chicken sausage, cut into bit-sized pieces
- 4 to 6 cups (100g to 150g) baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups (140g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Chopped parsley, to garnish
- Pound thin the pork chops, then cut into strips: Pork chops tend to come in thicknesses either around 1/2 inch thick or an inch thick. If you are working with a thick boneless pork chop, start by slicing it into two thin layers, horizontally. If starting with pork loin, cut slices 1/2 inch thick. Put the slices under some plastic wrap or wax paper and pound them thin with a rubber mallet, meat mallet or even an empty wine bottle. This will help tenderize the meat. The slices should be about 1/4 inch thick. Cut the pork across the grain into thin strips, about 1 1/2 inches long.
- Marinate 10 min in soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch: Put the soy sauce, sugar, and cornstarch into a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the pork strips to the bowl with the marinade and toss to coat completely. Set aside for at least 10 minutes.
- Stir fry pork strips on high heat: Heat the peanut oil in a wok or large sauté pan on high heat. When the oil is hot (shimmering but not smoking) add the garlic slices and stir-fry until they begin to turn brown at the edges, about 30 seconds. Add the pork strips and stir-fry until the pork changes color, about 90 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add in green onions, sesame oil: Add the sliced green onions and continue to stir-fry for another minute, or until the green onions wilt. Turn off the heat and stir in the sesame oil, if using. Serve immediately. Serve alone (paleo and low carb), or with rice.
You may also like
Tuna Macaroni Salad Family favorite tuna macaroni salad, made with canned tuna, elbow macaroni pasta, bell peppers, parsley, green onion, iceberg lettuce, and mayonnaise. Pasta Puttanesca A classic Italian pasta sauce based on pantry items such as olives, capers, anchovies and canned tomatoes. Chicken Piccata Easy Chicken Piccata! Takes 20 minutes to make. Chicken breast cutlets, dredged in flour, browned, served with sauce of butter, lemon juice, capers, and stock or wine. African Chicken Peanut Stew A hearty West African-inspired stew of chicken thighs and legs, sweet potatoes and peanuts that is perfect for a chilly day.