- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 (570g) lbs ground chuck
- 1/2 cup (60g) finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup (60g) finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup (60g) finely chopped carrot
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup (118ml) full bodied red wine (optional)
- 1 cup (236ml) whole milk (or low fat milk with a tablespoon of cream)
- 1 cup (236ml) crushed tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Enough lasagna noodles to make four layers in a 13x9-inch baking pan with the lasagna pieces overlapping each other a little bit.
- Recommended 16 sheets of De Cecco brand Italian lasagna noodles.
- Heat butter in a large sauté pan on medium high. Add the finely chopped onion, celery, and carrots. Sprinkle a little salt over everything. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and stir to combine, cook for another minute or so.
- Add the ground beef to the onions, celery, and carrots, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon as you add it to the pan. Again, sprinkle a little salt over everything. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the wine (if using), scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Let this boil down by half. Stir in the tomatoes. Slowly stir in the milk. Increase the heat to bring the mixture to a simmer, then lower the heat to maintain a low simmer. Simmer uncovered about 20 minutes. Add a little water if the sauce ever begins to dry out. Add salt and pepper to taste.
You may also like
Paleo Chicken Adobo Easy gluten-free and paleo version of Philippine Chicken Adobo! Easy stovetop dinner. Tangy, tasty, perfect with rice! Deviled Egg Salad An egg salad made in the style of deviled eggs, with mustard, mayo, hot sauce and paprika. Beef Goulash with Dumplings Beef goulash with light, fluffy dumplings. Central European goulash, a beef stew with Hungarian paprika, onions, tomato paste, cubed chuck roast, herbs and stock. Sweet and Sour Onions Sweet and sour braised pearl or boiling onions flavored with vinegar and honey.