- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 (570g) lbs ground chuck
- 1/2 cup (60g) finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup (60g) finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup (60g) finely chopped carrot
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup (118ml) full bodied red wine (optional)
- 1 cup (236ml) whole milk (or low fat milk with a tablespoon of cream)
- 1 cup (236ml) crushed tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Enough lasagna noodles to make four layers in a 13x9-inch baking pan with the lasagna pieces overlapping each other a little bit.
- Recommended 16 sheets of De Cecco brand Italian lasagna noodles.
- Heat butter in a large sauté pan on medium high. Add the finely chopped onion, celery, and carrots. Sprinkle a little salt over everything. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and stir to combine, cook for another minute or so.
- Add the ground beef to the onions, celery, and carrots, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon as you add it to the pan. Again, sprinkle a little salt over everything. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the wine (if using), scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Let this boil down by half. Stir in the tomatoes. Slowly stir in the milk. Increase the heat to bring the mixture to a simmer, then lower the heat to maintain a low simmer. Simmer uncovered about 20 minutes. Add a little water if the sauce ever begins to dry out. Add salt and pepper to taste.
You may also like
Roasted Green Chiles in a Light Vinaigrette Strips of roasted green chiles, lightly dressed in olive oil, vinegar, and salt. Pasta with Roasted Cauliflower and Prosciutto Orecchiette pasta tossed with roasted cauliflower, roasted cherry tomatoes, prosciutto, arugula, and Parmesan. Shrimp with Snow Peas A classic Chinese stir fry of shrimp and snow peas with a mild ginger-garlic sauce. Grits with Corn and Onion Greens Savory grits with extra corn and green onion greens, Parmesan cheese, and parsley.