- Whole fryer chicken, 3 1/2 to 4 pounds, preferably organic or kosher, wingtips removed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, halved or quartered
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 8 carrots, peeled, trimmed and halved crosswise
- 1 to 1½ cups chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp red-wine vinegar, more to taste
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) apricot preserves
- Season and stuff the chicken: Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Season well with salt and pepper. Stuff with lemon, thyme and half of the garlic cloves.
- Truss the chicken: Using butcher's string, secure the wings and legs to the body.
- Place chicken in a small roasting pan or large, deep, oven-proof heavy skillet. Surround with the carrots and remaining garlic, then add 1 cup of chicken stock. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Roast the chicken at 425°F (220°C). (If you are using a convection oven, start at 425°F (220°C) then reduce to 375°F (190°C) after the first 15 minutes.) Roast until chicken is golden and carrots are well caramelized, 1¼ to 1½ hours, basting with broth and pan juices every 15 minutes for the first 45 minutes. Add more stock if pan looks dry.
- Let chicken rest: Transfer chicken, carrots and garlic to a platter. Discard twine, thyme and lemon, and let chicken rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add vinegar to pan juices: Skim fat from pan juices and discard. Add 1 Tbsp vinegar to remaining pan juices, taste and add more to taste. Serve over the chicken.
You may also like
Blue Corn Chicken Nachos Celebrate Red, White and Blue with these Blue Corn Tortilla Chip Nachos! With a creamy pepper jack cheese sauce, chicken, and pico de gallo Grilled Chicken with South Carolina-Style BBQ Sauce Grilled Chicken with South Carolina BBQ Sauce pairs zesty, mustard-based South Carolina-style barbecue sauce with grilled chicken. You get a hint of sweetness and spice from the sauce, and every bite is wonderfully smoky from the grill! Thai Green Curry with Chicken This easy green curry is made with chicken, coconut milk, fresh herbs, and lime. You'll have a stunning dish to admire, smell, and taste! Chicken Parmesan Classic Chicken Parm! Chicken cutlets, breaded and fried, smothered with tomato sauce, covered with Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses, and baked until the cheese is bubbly and melts into every nook and cranny.