- Whole fryer chicken, 3 1/2 to 4 pounds, preferably organic or kosher, wingtips removed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, halved or quartered
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 8 carrots, peeled, trimmed and halved crosswise
- 1 to 1½ cups chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp red-wine vinegar, more to taste
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) apricot preserves
- Season and stuff the chicken: Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Season well with salt and pepper. Stuff with lemon, thyme and half of the garlic cloves.
- Truss the chicken: Using butcher's string, secure the wings and legs to the body.
- Place chicken in a small roasting pan or large, deep, oven-proof heavy skillet. Surround with the carrots and remaining garlic, then add 1 cup of chicken stock. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Roast the chicken at 425°F (220°C). (If you are using a convection oven, start at 425°F (220°C) then reduce to 375°F (190°C) after the first 15 minutes.) Roast until chicken is golden and carrots are well caramelized, 1¼ to 1½ hours, basting with broth and pan juices every 15 minutes for the first 45 minutes. Add more stock if pan looks dry.
- Let chicken rest: Transfer chicken, carrots and garlic to a platter. Discard twine, thyme and lemon, and let chicken rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add vinegar to pan juices: Skim fat from pan juices and discard. Add 1 Tbsp vinegar to remaining pan juices, taste and add more to taste. Serve over the chicken.
You may also like
How to Grill Juicy Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts How to grill boneless skinless chicken breasts so they stay juicy and don't get dried out. Honey Mint Glazed Chicken Grilled chicken pieces, marinated first, then glazed with a simple fresh mint and honey glaze. Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken Don't have a tagine? Make Moroccan chicken in a slow cooker, it's easy! Chicken thighs, plenty of spices, onions, green olives, lemons, raisins, cooked low and slow until fall apart tender. Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken Skinless boneless chicken breasts marinated with lime and cilantro and grilled.