- 2 pounds red beets, medium sized, scr믭 clean, green tops removed (see beet greens recipe for what to do with beet greens)
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Freshly ground black pepper
Additional ingredients for frying the beans after they've been cooked:
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 large white onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Green onion
- Crumbled cotija or queso fresco cheese
- Tortilla chips or corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line pan with aluminum foil.
- Rub beets with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, place in pan, cover with foil: Place the beets in the pan. Rub olive oil over the beets, and sprinkle with salt. Cover the beets with another sheet of aluminum foil.
- Roast for 1 to 2 hours: Roast for 1 to 2 hours, depending on the size of the beets and how old they are. After 1 hour, test every fifteen minutes by poking a beet with the tines of a fork. Once the fork tines go in easily, the beets are tender and cooked. Remove from the oven.
- Prepare balsamic glaze: While the beets are cooling, prepare the balsamic glaze. In a small, shallow sauté pan, add the balsamic vinegar and sugar. Heat on high until the vinegar has reduced to a syrup consistency. Remove from heat.
- Peel and cut cooked beets: After the beets have cooled for several minutes, but are still warm to the touch, peel off the outer skins and discard. Cut the beets into quarters or more, bite-sized pieces.
- Pour glaze over beets: Place beets in a serving bowl. Pour balsamic glaze over the beets. Stir in grated orange zest, and add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with a little orange zest to serve.
You may also like
Yankee Cornbread Sweet Yankee cornbread. A favorite of New Englanders! This version made with Greek yogurt and extra cornmeal. Great with chicken or chili. Dinosaur Kale with Baby Potatoes Dinosaur kale, also called Lacinato or black kale, sautéed with garlic and olive oil and serve with poached baby potatoes. Creole Potato Salad Spice up your summer BBQ with a Creole potato salad, seasoned with spicy creole mustard. Roasted Zucchini with Garlic Easy roasted zucchini recipe! fresh zucchini, cut lengthwise, oven-roasted with olive oil, garlic, black pepper, and Herbes de Provence.