For the poke bowl:
- 1 cup short-grain white rice
- 1 pound sashimi-grade salmon
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
Other toppings for your bowl:
- Sliced cucumber
- Sliced radish
- 1 large avocado, cubed
- Red pepper flakes
- Cook the rice: Start the rice first and prep the rest of the ingredients while it cooks. Rinse the rice a few times under cool water, rubbing it gently with your hands, until the water isn't quite so cloudy. Then cook the rice according to package instructions or in a rice cooker. Fluff and keep covered until ready to eat.
- Prepare the salmon: Gently pat the salmon all over to make sure that there are no bones still lodged in the filet; if there are, use needle-nosed pliers to remove them. Cut the salmon into 1/2-inch cubes. Add the salmon into a medium bowl and set aside.
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, sugar and garlic powder. The garlic powder and sugar will not dissolve completely, but that's fine.
- Combine the salmon and the dressing: Add the sliced scallions to the bowl with the salmon, saving 1 to 2 tablespoons for garnish. Add the soy sauce mixture to the salmon and scallions. Using a large spoon or a rubber spatula, gently mix the salmon with the soy sauce mixture.
- Serve: Divide the rice between each bowl and then the salmon. Top with the rest of the sliced scallions, sliced cucumber, sliced radishes, diced avocado, furikake and red pepper flakes, if you like. The poke bowl is best enjoyed immediately.
You may also like
Pork Tenderloin with Figs and Onions Pork tenderloin, seared in butter, then roasted, served with caramelized onions and sauteed fresh figs. Red Beans and Rice A Southern classic, red beans cooked with smoked shanks, onions, celery, bell peppers, and spices, served over rice. Tilapia with Olives, Mushrooms, and Tomatoes Quick and easy, mild tilapia fish fillets cooked with onions, garlic, diced tomatoes, mushrooms, and olives. Carbonnade Beef and Beer Stew Carbonnade Belgian beef stew recipe, with beef, onions, and Belgian ale, and seasoned with bay and thyme.