- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
- 2 large fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp of capers, drained
- 1 teaspoon of chopped jalapeño peppers (no seeds, no stem, no ribs) either fresh or pickled
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt and pepper
- 2 fresh salmon fillets, 1/2 lb each
Other toppings for your bowl:
- Sliced cucumber
- Sliced radish
- 1 large avocado, cubed
- Red pepper flakes
- Sauté the onions and garlic: In a large, wide (at least 12 inches wide) saucepan (one that comes with a cover), heat olive oil on medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring regularly, until just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, thyme, lemon zest and juice, capers, jalapeño, salt, pepper: Raise the heat to medium-high and add the tomatoes, thyme, lemon zest, lemon juice, capers, and jalapeño peppers. Simmer for 10 minutes, adding a little water if needed to prevent the sauce from getting too dry. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add wine and water: Add 1/3 a cup of white wine - a simple Chardonnay will work. Add 1/4 cup of water. Bring to a simmer.
- Add salmon fillets, cover and cook: Place the fillets in the pan on top of the sauce, skin side down, if the fillets are still in their skin. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 4-7 minutes, depending on how thick the cuts of fish are. Poke the fish with a fork and look for doneness. The fish should still be a little rare in the middle, but not raw. Serve immediately, with tomato sauce generously applied.
You may also like
Turkey White Chili White chili made with cooked turkey, great for using up Thanksgiving leftovers, with white beans, green chiles, jalapeno, and garnishes. Chicken Mango Lettuce Wraps Chicken Mango Lettuce wraps are light and nourishing, made with stir fried chicken, shiitake mushrooms, and diced mango, served in wraps of lettuce! Skillet Shrimp and Asparagus Skillet Shrimp and Asparagus, only use one pan! Quick, easy, and delicious, perfect for a midweek meal. Cioppino San Francisco-style cioppino Italian fish stew, with fresh halibut, sea bass, Dungeness crab, shrimp, clams, mussels, and oysters in a savory tomato-based broth.