- 1/4 pound sliced apple-wood smoked bacon
- 2 tart apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and grated
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, ground
- 3 cups unfiltered apple juice
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 pounds of refrigerated (in a jar, not can), prepared sauerkraut, drained (about 1 24-fluid-ounce jar, drained)
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook and chop the bacon: Lay the slices of bacon down at the bottom of a large, thick-bottomed pot and heat on medium heat. Cook until the bacon has browned and most of the bacon fat has been rendered, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the bacon from the pot and set on paper towels to drain. Remove all but 1 Tbsp of the fat in the pot. (Do not pour down the sink, bacon fat will clog your drain!) Chop the bacon and set aside.
- Cook onions, apples, then add garlic, caraway: Add the chopped onions and apples to the pot and cook until the onions are translucent, about 6-7 minutes. Add the garlic and caraway and cook for a minute more.
- Add apple juice and vinegar, then boil: Add the apple juice and the white vinegar to the pot. Increase the heat to high. Bring to a boil and boil vigorously until the liquid is reduced to a syrup, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sauerkraut and bacon to the pot and stir to coat with the sauce. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the sauerkraut has been heated through and is tender, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
You may also like
Cauliflower Pasta with Bacon and Parmesan Sautéed cauliflower, onions, and bacon, tossed with pasta, Parmesan and toasted panko. So good! Spaghetti Pasta Carbonara Spaghetti Pasta Carbonara—so easy, takes only 30 min start to finish! With bacon or pancetta and loads of Parmesan. Pasta Salad with Corn, Bacon, and Buttermilk Ranch Dressing Perfect pasta picnic salad! With corn, bacon, basil, and buttermilk ranch dressing. Wilted Watercress Salad with Bacon Dressing Simple wilted watercress salad with fresh peppery watercress and a hot bacon apple cider dressing.