- 1/4 pound sliced apple-wood smoked bacon
- 2 tart apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and grated
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, ground
- 3 cups unfiltered apple juice
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 pounds of refrigerated (in a jar, not can), prepared sauerkraut, drained (about 1 24-fluid-ounce jar, drained)
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook and chop the bacon: Lay the slices of bacon down at the bottom of a large, thick-bottomed pot and heat on medium heat. Cook until the bacon has browned and most of the bacon fat has been rendered, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the bacon from the pot and set on paper towels to drain. Remove all but 1 Tbsp of the fat in the pot. (Do not pour down the sink, bacon fat will clog your drain!) Chop the bacon and set aside.
- Cook onions, apples, then add garlic, caraway: Add the chopped onions and apples to the pot and cook until the onions are translucent, about 6-7 minutes. Add the garlic and caraway and cook for a minute more.
- Add apple juice and vinegar, then boil: Add the apple juice and the white vinegar to the pot. Increase the heat to high. Bring to a boil and boil vigorously until the liquid is reduced to a syrup, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sauerkraut and bacon to the pot and stir to coat with the sauce. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the sauerkraut has been heated through and is tender, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
You may also like
Classic Wedge Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing Wedge salad with blue cheese dressing is such a classic! Made with iceberg lettuce, bacon, cherry tomatoes, and homemade blue cheese dressing. Takes 15 minutes. Bacon-wrapped Pork Roast Bacon-wrapped pork roast! Wrapping the pork roast in bacon brings extra juiciness and flavor to the roast. Quiche Lorraine Quiche Lorraine with a buttery crust and a tender filling with our favorite food group - bacon! Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp Bacon-wrapped shrimp! Either oven baked or grilled, and seasoned with chili and lime.