- 1 pound brussels sprouts, tough or wilted outer leaves peeled off and discarded
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbsp mustard seeds
- 2 Tbsp dry white wine (or Vermouth)
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
Many options here:
- Olive oil, butter, or mayonnaise (use olive oil if cooking vegan)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon zest or juice, balsamic vinegar, seasoned rice vinegar
- Toasted almonds, toasted sesame seeds
- Thinly slice the brussels sprouts and toss with lemon juice: Put the lemon juice in a large bowl. Peel off any large wilted outer leaves from the brussels sprouts and cut off the bottoms and discard. Cut the sprouts in half lengthwise. Then thinly slice the sprouts crosswise. As you slice the sprouts, put the slices into the bowl with the lemon juice. Toss them to separate the leaves and coat with a little of the lemon juice.
- Sauté shredded brussels sprouts with garlic and mustard seeds: Heat the oil over high heat in a large skillet. When the skillet is hot, add the brussels sprouts, garlic, mustard seeds. Sauté them until the shaved sprouts are just lightly wilted and cooked, but still green and firm, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Finish with white wine, salt, pepper, lemon zest: Add the wine to the pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté a minute more. Remove from heat and sprinkle with lemon zest. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
You may also like
Roasted Butternut Squash Kale Sauté Great side dish for the holidays! Roasted cubes of butternut squashed tossed with balsamic sautéed onions, kale, pecans, dried cranberries. Stir Fried Green Beans with Ginger and Onions Green beans stir fried with ginger, onions, garlic and a little soy sauce. Sautéed Swiss Chard with Mustard Seeds Swiss chard, quickly sautéed with shallots and mustard seeds, seasoned with salt and rice vinegar. Swiss Chard with Olives Swiss chard, or other leafy green, sautéed with green olives, capers, green onions, and rosemary.