- 12 ounces fettuccine pasta
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced, about 4 teaspoons
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 6 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 pound peeled, deveined raw shrimp
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds shrimp, shell on (remove shells for use in the shrimp stock, if not making your own stock, you can get shrimp already shelled)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or lard
- Heaping 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 pint shrimp stock (see above), or clam juice or pre-made fish or shellfish stock
- 1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 Tbsp sweet paprika
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Hot sauce (Crystal or Tabasco) to taste
- Put pasta water on to boil: Put a large pot of salted water (1 Tbsp salt for every 2 quarts of water) on to boil for the pasta.
- Sauté onions, garlic, red pepper flakes: Melt butter in a large, thick-bottomed pot on medium high heat. Add the onion and sauté 5 to 7 minutes, until lightly browned. Lower the heat to medium, add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook a minute more.
- Add tomatoes, vodka, cream, zest: Add the crushed tomatoes to the onions. Stir in the vodka, cream, and lemon zest. Increase heat to bring to a simmer, then lower the heat to maintain a simmer.
- Start cooking pasta: As soon as you start simmering the sauce, add pasta to boiling salted water. Pasta should be done in 10 minutes.
- Add raw shrimp to sauce: After the sauce has simmered for 5 minutes, about halfway through the pasta cooking time, taste for salt and add salt to taste (you'll likely need about 1 teaspoon). Add the raw peeled and deveined shrimp to the sauce. Cook until the shrimp is just cooked through, about 5 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Add cooked pasta to sauce and shrimp: When the pasta is done, al dente, strain it and add it to the vodka tomato sauce and shrimp. Sprinkle with parsley and freshly ground black pepper to serve.
You may also like
Spaghetti and Meatballs Traditional Italian American spaghetti and meatballs recipe. Tomato-based sauce with mushrooms, basil, Parmesan with herb-seasoned meatballs made with ground beef and Italian sausage. Pesto Stuffed Zucchini Ginormous zucchini in your garden? Try this recipe, hollowed out zucchini, stuffed with basil pesto, fresh croutons, Mozzarella, pine nuts and cherry tomatoes. Sous Vide French Dip Sandwiches Sous Vide French Dip Sandwiches! Cooking sous vide makes the most tender roast beef EVER. This is a perfect starter recipe if you're new to sous vide cooking. Panko Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Dijon Cream Sauce Pork tenderloin, marinated in buttermilk, breaded with panko and baked. Served with Dijon mustard cream sauce.